Sony SQR 8750 and new member help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmonster

Hello all,
I have been collecting vintage audio gear for ten years now mostly Pioneer and Sansui. I had not intended to venture into the old Quad gear but I found this rather nice Sony unit this weekend for a a modest $25.00
I remember vividly drooling over the then new Quad systems in the late 60.'s and 70's but could never afford them.
So here I am I picked up this Sony SQR 8750 It appears to be working, in the 2 channel selctor circuit I am getting a nice clean signal from both channels. When I select any other position, be it 4 channel or SQ, theere is no signal at all from any channel. witch back to 2 channels and good clean sound. I moved the back swith to both 2 and 4 position with no luck. I don't have a manual and info on the web is very lean on this model. Anyone here can give me a few pointers or point me to a manual to download. I think I would like to set this up, as Quad reel to reels seem to available and reasonable in price, as are quad tapes.

Oh by the way most of the front panel lamps are out but it uses a rather odd lamp any one familiar with the early Sony lamps? they are marked Stanley and are mounted in a rubber mount that plugs into two pins.

Thanks,
Donald Bowman

Hopefully one of the tech types will stop by to answer your question. Sorry but I'm not sure what the deal is with this problem.

If it's built like a lot of Sony's from the period, there are probably double sided boards that have holes from one side to the other and connected with soldered pins. Some of the soldering wasn't the greatest or the solderability of the pins wasn't that great and they lose contact.

I fixed both of my SQD-2050s by resoldering every connection on the boards. They had symptoms similar to yours with one of them not having any output from the front channels.

Doug

Those components with the double sided boards are best fixed by removing the pins and using copper wire to pass through the board. That way the problem won't return. The wire is bent over and soldered to the land on either side without actually soldering at the hole. This allows the connection to expand without breaking the solder.

The Quadfather

Those components with the double sided boards are best fixed by removing the pins and using copper wire to pass through the board. That way the problem won't return. The wire is bent over and soldered to the land on either side without actually soldering at the hole. This allows the connection to expand without breaking the solder.

The Quadfather

Yeah, I guess I was lazy. :D

Doug

Back