Spanky & Gang: Lazy Day Quad Synch-Up?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since people are doing stereo synch-ups of all kinds of things, anybody ever try a quadraphonic synch-up?

I'm basically talking about the conventional Lazy Day being re-synch-ed with the Greatest Hit(s) `Hello, hello, howya doin' stereo version. Extract Tracks Only from that version, but leave that part intact and use it for the rear, and then leave the standard stereo version for the front.

Like people have already done with the Little Eva Loco-Motion: the non-handclap version for the front and the handclap version for the rear since there's no 2-track or 3-track with just the backing track left anymore.

But technically that wasn't a quadraphonic sync-up, it was just twin-track swapped for 2-channel front-and-surround like people do with twin-tracks of Buffalo Springfield, The Association, James Brown or any one of hundreds of others.

Thoughts?

And yes, I posted it over at BSN Synch-Up board as well.

The problem I've found to be the most unnerving when doing sync-ups is 'drift'. Not all songs were converted into the digital domain at the right speed. Some that I've done of notable mention with reasonable success:

Tommy James - I think we're alone now. Stereo cut to rear, mono cut to front with a little bit of EQ and echo to fatten up the mono.

Beach Boys - Dance, Dance, Dance. Mono front, stereo backing in the rears.

The Outsiders - Time Won't Let me: Original stereo version front, alternate stereo version (different mix) rear.

Beach Boys - I get around: Stereo Vocal version front, stereo instrument version rear

Simon & Garfunkel - Stereo Instruments front, Stereo Vocals rear.

Other ones I've heard but not built by me are: The Monkees: Zilch and Sunny Girlfriend

I once sync'ed up the standard recording of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" and the "Orchestral Tubular Bells," and put them in the front and rear speakers respectively. It took forever to do, but I was very happy with the results.

J. D.

Back