SpecWeb on Windows 11 22H2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hey for those of you on Windows 11 22H2 (the current version as of this post) AND using SpecWeb:

The default Terminal for windows has been changed to the "new" windows terminal. This means that all version of SpecWeb will be cosmetically messed up:

SpecWeb in the new Windows Terminal:

1673224001793.png

Instead of:

1673224063620.png

Missing lines of text, font colors and size and shape of windows are not controlled in the new "terminal". I don't know how to programmatically fix this yet, but you can reset your copy of windows to have the old behavior by going to:

Settings --> Privacy & security --> For developers -- Terminal

and change it from "Let Windows decide" to "Windows Console Host":
1673224288731.png

That change takes immediate effect (no need to log out or reboot, etc.).

Of course that means all your "terminals" will be the old kind.

I just had to do this on another windows 11 machine, and couldn't find the "For Developers" menu. However when I searched for "Terminal Settings", and clicked, it came up.

Also, and this is important, this setting is required for both SpecScript and SpecWeb. Some users were reporting crashes I couldn't duplicate in SpecScript, and it turned out to be that this has to be set for Windows Console Host.

I found another workaround, if you don't want to change your default terminal setting:

1) Right click on SpecWeb.bat and --> show more options --> create shortcut
2) Rename the shortcut as you like (I used "SpecScript")
3) Right click on the shortcut and select Properties
4) In the Target input box, prepend the target with: %windir%\System32\conhost.exe and a space

1703959594887.png

5) click on Apply
6) going forward, use that shortcut as your drag and drop target for SpecScript (instead of SpecScript.bat).

FYI you can move or copy this shortcut whereover you want, such as your desktop, and use it from thedre.

You can make the same modification to the shortcuts for SpecWeb, on your desktop.

In the coming days I'll release a SpecScript 1.9 that does all that for you (no other significant changes).

Back