Technics RS-858US Q8 player/recorder issues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8Repair

Hi.... I just scored a very very mint condition RS-858US. Even came with a manual, and a few other goodies (carts!). Anyway, it seems to only be playing one channel, and I don't know why. I know I'll need to replace the belt, I checked that and it's kinda loose, and I've tried popping that little cap on the top to adjust the head....but no dice. Basically, I can pick up sound on the front left channel, and the rear right channel, of two different songs of a stereo cart. No matter how I adjust the head (from the top, using a philips), I can't get two channels of sound from the same song, nor can I get two channels of sound right next to each other.

Any ideas? Does it just need to be adjusted? The car ride home was a bit bumpy, I guess, but I thought it would pull through fine. Once I'm sure it's working I'll try to lube everything and whatnot.

Thanks!

Turn the Record Level knobs all the way up. They DO function in playback mode! That's the easy answer.

The bad answer could be it's a dud that needs repair. Contact QuadBob.

Hi.... I just scored a very very mint condition RS-858US. Even came with a manual, and a few other goodies (carts!). Anyway, it seems to only be playing one channel, and I don't know why. I know I'll need to replace the belt, I checked that and it's kinda loose, and I've tried popping that little cap on the top to adjust the head....but no dice. Basically, I can pick up sound on the front left channel, and the rear right channel, of two different songs of a stereo cart. No matter how I adjust the head (from the top, using a philips), I can't get two channels of sound from the same song, nor can I get two channels of sound right next to each other.

Any ideas? Does it just need to be adjusted? The car ride home was a bit bumpy, I guess, but I thought it would pull through fine. Once I'm sure it's working I'll try to lube everything and whatnot.

Thanks!

hi

try to play with the Record knob, in & out, in & out a few times, this player is know to have problems with a dirty Record knob,(i have several)and if i don't use them they kind of drop channels, this may help i hope thanks Gerardo

hi

try to play with the Record knob, in & out, in & out a few times, this player is know to have problems with a dirty Record knob,(i have several)and if i don't use them they kind of drop channels, this may help i hope thanks Gerardo

Won't the record 'button' erase my 8 tracks though? I don't want to press it if it's going to ruin one of them. :\ I'll try punching it in and out with the power off though. See if that helps.

Thanks!

No, Not the record button, the RECORD LEVEL KNOBS. The knobs underneath their respective channel VU meter. These funtion as Volume knobs during playback. Make sure they are clean and turned up during playback.

Oh. Yeah. The one that works crackled a little bit when I first got it, but now it doesn't since I've been moving it around. I already tried moving them to get it to work..... :(

Seems like something is bunk. Has anybody here ever used barry's 8 track repair? He seems really nice, and really knowledgeable:

http://barrys8trackrepair.com/

He seems like a pretty cool dude. I'll probably be sending it there, in a few months.

Cash, can you help me out? I also need that same Technics manual. Please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Dave

Back