The Beatles in Cirque Du Soleil "World's Away" Blu-Ray Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk3997

500 Club - QQ All-Star
James Cameron and Cirque Du Soleil have produced a new 3D Blu-Ray disc (also includes a 2D Blu-Ray disc). The "story" is basically of a male aerialist and a female audience member. When their eyes meet, the literally fall for each other - through a giant hole at the bottom of the circus ring. They then enter another world which consists entirely of segments from the various Las Vegas Cirque Du Soleil shows.

What makes this interesting is that The Beatles Love show is included. Six (plus) Beatles songs are used. The songs are all in 5.1-channel sound with the show's sound effects also included. The songs include Blackbird, Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite/Helter Skelter, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Demo with Orchestration), Get Back/Glass Onion and All You Need Is Love. Some of the intersongs are also included and the Cirque part of the show is shown in excellent 3D video (reference quality 3D). All You Need Is Love is used at the close of the movie.

The interesting song is Blackbird. Blackbird on the Love DVD-Audio disc lasts for only a few seconds before it transitions into Yesterday. I remembered at the Love show, there was much more of Blackbird but not the complete song (last part was missing). The World's Away Blu-Ray has the version used in the Love show. It was nice to hear that again, as much as I wish the last few measures were included. Of course Blackbird only consists of an acoustic guitar, McCartney's voice and foot tapping. So, no matter how you mix it, there isn't much of a 5.1-channel mix with just the three elements.

To my ears, the other songs consisted of the same 5.1-channel mixes as on the DVD-Audio disc but those mixes were then slightly remixed so that the show's sounds could also be included. It seemed to me to be slightly watered-down 5.1-channel mixes. The difference is that you get to see the Cirque performers as well as the Beatles music.

BTW, for those who have no yet seen the Love show, it is a bit of a sensory overload experience. The audio is in 25.5 channel sound (I kid you not) with speakers in the chairs as well as overhead. There are multiple performers as well as video screens. The theater is in the round (actually oval) which makes for an enveloping experience.

Anyway, I highly recommend the disc. From a Beatles perspective the audio may not be as enveloping as the DVD-A disc but it certainly beats any CD sound (including the remastered CDs). Audio is encoded with DTS-HD MA.

It actually made me wish they would release the entire Love show on Blu-Ray 3D.

Andy

Back