The Who - "Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just picked this up yesterday - featuring a transfer from the original film negative and 5.1 remastering "supervised" by Pete Townsend. Considering the age and condition of the original - a treat for Who fans - this did come out in a DVD version a few years ago (which I have not seen) - from what I understand, this is a significant improvement in both audio and video - presented in 1.78:1 ratio/16 x 9 for widescreen and featuring DTS HD MA surround.

This is The Who in their prime - Townsend in mechanics bib, Daltry in flowing mane and fringes, Entwistle in skeleton coveralls - immobile except for his flying fingers and Keith Moon - in full fury mode - a force of nature. This is a warts and all presentation, a little sloppy at times and then almost impossibly tight. It also features 2 bonus tracks (Substitute and Naked Eye - both in HD sound and video) and a long, curious Pete Townsend interview which is alternately infuriating and insightful - definitely worth seeing.

This is not a discrete 5.1 recording - it is a spectacular live recording however with a very wide soundstage - remixed from the original 8 track - captured live in front of 600,000 screaming lunatics. (y)

This is on Palladia tonight, so naturally I came to QQ to see if the DVD is worth getting. I must admit I'm surprised that no one has had anything to say about it except Elmer! What I saw on TV looked good... does anyone else recommend it???

Back