Toshiba SA-304

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sgale

I just picked up one of these tuners....Quad..? it says four channel reciever... also has four channel inputs on the rear for tape and aux.......nice unit sounds great..........to look inside the construction reminds me of older Sansui or Hafler boards.......there is a sticker inside that says Nikko Corp..am looking for more information on this iunit and possible value........thanks in advance.......also would like input on types of speakers to run from this unit...only have two connected right now...Bose 301's but may be a problem not being able to run 4 - 4ohm speakers.........should i use 4 8o hm speakers

Very limited info in the database. 10 watts per channel, sold in 1973 for sure, not sure what other years it may have been sold. Appears to be a non-logic decoder unit though info is skimpy on these Toshiba units.

The SA-504 had a list price of $500 with similar features except with 30 watts per channel. No list price found for your unit.

Yes, this is a quad receiver. I have one (actually it's my dad's) and it was sold in around 1973. It has mono, stereo, regular matrix (R-MTX), SQ Quad, and discrete quad modes. I've played a few SQ recordings through it, and while there is some channel separation in the rear channels, there isn't that much indicating that it doesn't have logic control.

From 1975 consumers guide to 4 channel-20 w stereo, 11 watts quad, 20 -40,000 @ 0.8 thd, list price $349.95 no mention of any logic and no mention of cd-4 demod on board, if it can do cd4 there would be adj. for seperation and carrier signal on back of unit. I think it would make a great door stop, just kidding!:lol:

Hi James,

Ijust found your post and would be very interested in seeing the manual. I just bought an SA-304 this afternoon and would like more info on it, such as how I can decode my discrete(CD-4) records with it. All I get is the front channels in discrete mode. I am hoping it isn't my cartridges(Astatic MF-200 and Shure V15 Type V).

Thanks In Advance,

Matthew
(A newbie to posting and to the world of Quad)

In order to decode CD-4 records, you will need a CD-4 demodulator (as well as a CD-4 capable stylus/cartridge combo - see the Discrete Quad section of this board). The SA-304 doesn't have one built in. The discrete mode is just a 4 channel input. You could either plug in a 4 ch tape deck or a CD-4 demodulator here.

I will try scanning the manual ASAP - I am very busy right now. please contact me at [email protected]

James

I have one, but the output fuses keep blowing. Is it possible to get a manual ?
Regards,
Colmilne.

Back