Total Quad noob has a question about Sansui QD-5500 recording

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeper1JSC

Hi Folks!

I recently acquired a really clean and fresh sounding QD-5500 from a local vintage audio shop in the town where I live. I've been wanting to take the plunge into reel to reel for awhile and the price was right on this unit. It plays pre-recorded tapes wonderfully and sounds great. My only issue is that it apparently cannot record audio on the right channel (both in 4-channel and 2-channel recording modes). The left channel records great. I've tried recording from a source plugged into both the line in's on the side of the unit, and also the mic inputs in the front...same result each time. The VU's register signals on both right and left when I'm running the signal into the unit and recording...but when I playback only the right channel has sound and there is no VU activity on the left. The shop cleaned and demagnetized the heads, and I'm using a new old stock Ampex 631 tape.

Any idea what may be going on here?

-Jeeper

Could be many things. It's not in the cabling or the receiver, since you experience the same results through the mic inputs. It's not in the controls or switches, since the prerecorded tape plays fine. The left channel may actually be the problem, since that's what the meter shows. A wire must be reversed in the output cable(s). That is an ancillary problem and not your core issue. Likely all that will do is cause the problem to switch to the left channel.

If you have a faint signal on one channel, it may be a bad tape. If it's completely dead, it probably isn't. First, try another tape. Hopefully, you have one. If you don't, at least try the other side or other end of the tape. If that fails, there is likely a short in the internal wiring in the record signal path.

Troubleshooting is a trial and error process. Always begin with what is the likely problem. When that fails, process of elimination will reveal the issue. Sounds like you've done some of that already. Happy hunting!

Hi Folks!

I recently acquired a really clean and fresh sounding QD-5500 from a local vintage audio shop in the town where I live. I've been wanting to take the plunge into reel to reel for awhile and the price was right on this unit. It plays pre-recorded tapes wonderfully and sounds great. My only issue is that it apparently cannot record audio on the right channel (both in 4-channel and 2-channel recording modes). The left channel records great. I've tried recording from a source plugged into both the line in's on the side of the unit, and also the mic inputs in the front...same result each time. The VU's register signals on both right and left when I'm running the signal into the unit and recording...but when I playback only the right channel has sound and there is no VU activity on the left. The shop cleaned and demagnetized the heads, and I'm using a new old stock Ampex 631 tape.

Any idea what may be going on here?

-Jeeper

Wow...thanks for the fast response. What is strange is that initially I tried recording on the tape that was loaded on the machine when I purchased it and could record nothing on the right side. When I did switch over to the fresh tape I did get a very faint signal recorded on the right channel (at best it was half the volume of the left side). I did manage to find a .pdf of the service manual for this model today on the internet, so that's good. I'm fairly new to these machines, so I was wondering if there could be something wacky with the recording heads.

Could be many things. It's not in the cabling or the receiver, since you experience the same results through the mic inputs. It's not in the controls or switches, since the prerecorded tape plays fine. The left channel may actually be the problem, since that's what the meter shows. A wire must be reversed in the output cable(s). That is an ancillary problem and not your core issue. Likely all that will do is cause the problem to switch to the left channel.

If you have a faint signal on one channel, it may be a bad tape. If it's completely dead, it probably isn't. First, try another tape. Hopefully, you have one. If you don't, at least try the other side or other end of the tape. If that fails, there is likely a short in the internal wiring in the record signal path.

Troubleshooting is a trial and error process. Always begin with what is the likely problem. When that fails, process of elimination will reveal the issue. Sounds like you've done some of that already. Happy hunting!

Is it a three head deck? If so, then certainly the record head could be fried, but the playback head could be perfectly fine.
Wow...thanks for the fast response. What is strange is that initially I tried recording on the tape that was loaded on the machine when I purchased it and could record nothing on the right side. When I did switch over to the fresh tape I did get a very faint signal recorded on the right channel (at best it was half the volume of the left side). I did manage to find a .pdf of the service manual for this model today on the internet, so that's good. I'm fairly new to these machines, so I was wondering if there could be something wacky with the recording heads.

It is a 3 head deck. If the recording head was toast would it just knock out one of the channels or would it typically just stop working altogether?

It could do either. Once the surface of the head is worn or corrupted, the entire head would need replacement to fix it. Try cleaning the head with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. You may see black or brown oxide residue on the Q tip.

Back