Worst use of surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Sony wins worst use of surround by discontinuing the Bob Dylan Hybrid discs.
their spokesman Max Prof says "it's All About The Benjamins "

Are they really discontinuing these? I read they were releasing the remasters in redbook form at a lower cost, but I didn't notice anything about SONY deleting the hybrids altogether. I sincerely hope this is not the case, but if it is, it's another black eye for SONY. I really would like a surround mix of 'Time Out of Mind,' as well as the remaining Dylan records remastered for SACD.

BOSSMAN said:
Are they really discontinuing these? I read they were releasing the remasters in redbook form at a lower cost, but I didn't notice anything about SONY deleting the hybrids altogether. I sincerely hope this is not the case, but if it is, it's another black eye for SONY. I really would like a surround mix of 'Time Out of Mind,' as well as the remaining Dylan records remastered for SACD.
Well, there seems to be a rumour about the SACD versions going out of print, along with ABKCO Rolling Stones SACDs, and Dark Side of the Moon also (based on them being out of stock at most stores). Maybe all single inventory SACDs are now out of print.

narcopolo said:
Well, there seems to be a rumour about the SACD versions going out of print, along with ABKCO Rolling Stones SACDs, and Dark Side of the Moon also (based on them being out of stock at most stores). Maybe all single inventory SACDs are now out of print.

ABKCO has already said that the Stereo CD editions of the Stones Reissues are the ones that went out of print - not the SACDs. See the High Fidelity Review story on that at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11994239

In the case of Dark Side of the Moon, Capitol has both versions available as separate catalog numbers (the Stereo CD and the Surround Sound SACD). According to the folks at Capitol, they plan to continue that practice. See the High Fidelity Review story on Capitol's comments on that rumor at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=13533544

As a result, here in Silicon Valley, you'll see the SACD and CD editions of Dark Side of the Moon available side by side at places like Best Buy and Tower Records.

Last edited:
Back