Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often at big companies the staff turnover is such that there's a kind of "institutional memory loss" because there's no one there that was working there 10 years previously, let alone 20 to untangle the complicated provenance of the mixes and say 'well actually, the three bonus 5.1 mixes on the 2012 DVD-V come from the 2003 UK SACD, and those were sourced from the 2001 US DVD-A.'

Great point. I've been in my industry for decades [tech], I've always heard old timers wisdom referred to as "tribal knowledge."

I doubt it. Machine Head is the standout big seller. The one possibility I see is that Steven Wilson's 5.1 remix of Made In Japan finally gets released as part of a deluxe set.
I'd like to think that while there was no quad mix of "Burn" found in the Warner's library, there could have been a mix completed of that album, but the mixed master remained in the UK with Purple's other masters. Since a UK quad (or Machine Head) was done independently from the US quad, it's not an impossibility that another quad mix was completed and is unissued but remains there overseas. "Who Do We Think We Are" is also somewhat or slightly likely.
But for now, I'd just like to see "Stormbringer" get a good US Quadio issue.

Back