Neil Young's forthcoming Blu-Ray Album reissues to have 5.1!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant see much being multi channel unless you count stereo as multichannel. An awfull lot of it was only recorded on two track, (all of the live acoustic stuff).
if this had been on teh shelves 12 months ago i would have bought it but right now i can not afford a 10 disc box set, given that 20% of it has already been released on DVD 96/24, I certainly dont see the blu ray benifits.

I believe I own all of the previously released DVD-A albums with multichannel mixes. This is what I found on my list of owned titles:

Neil Young Greendale DVD-A Surround
Neil Young Harvest DVD-A Surround
Neil Young Road Rock, Vol. 1 DVD-A Surround

If there were others, I don't recall them. I wouldn't bother to replace those with Blu-ray versions but would sure like to see any others with multitrack source released on Blu-ray.

Chris

I cant see much being multi channel unless you count stereo as multichannel. An awfull lot of it was only recorded on two track, (all of the live acoustic stuff).
if this had been on teh shelves 12 months ago i would have bought it but right now i can not afford a 10 disc box set, given that 20% of it has already been released on DVD 96/24, I certainly dont see the blu ray benifits.

Fletch,

There is little surround on the Archives. What this thread is about is that they will be releasing the Neil Young individual albums on single Blu-Ray discs. Starting with "Neil Young", "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere", "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest". These will be HiRez reissues from the original tapes, and many of these tunes would sound great in 5.1, some more than others.

As for "Archives", it's truly an amazing Blu-Ray box set that cannot be appreciated without seeing it yourself.

GREAT NEWS (y)

How much is really out there any way on Blu-Ray as far as "Individual Albums" go?

Maybe this will be the start of something in this format. At any rate, I will certainly pick up as much as I can.:smokin

Has anyone seen semi-firm release dates for these blu-ray versions of the albums? I see that the CD issues are slated for July 14th according to Amazon.

I'm more likely to pick these up first and Archives later when I'm feeling flush.

Too bad ... being one of the younger members here, I came heavily into NY around the time Freedom was released ... I would have loved to hear "Crime In The City (Sixty to Zero Pt. 1)" in surround. Thankfully, we at least have Harvest.

Too bad ... being one of the younger members here, I came heavily into NY around the time Freedom was released ... I would have loved to hear "Crime In The City (Sixty to Zero Pt. 1)" in surround. Thankfully, we at least have Harvest.

So you enjoy Harvest in multichannel? I think it sucks and always listen to it in 2 channels, actually one of the few 5.1-mixes I really dislike, and I am a 5.1-junkie.... Just listen and compare the first song (Weekend something...) - it is reference material in stereo and a sonic mess in multichannel.

There are a lot of good 5.1-mixes out there and to mention some example from the same era as Harvest - have a listen to the early Elton John albums in SACD - they all have terrific (descrete and adventurous but not gimmicky) 5.1-mixes.

//Uffe

So you enjoy Harvest in multichannel? I think it sucks and always listen to it in 2 channels, actually one of the few 5.1-mixes I really dislike, and I am a 5.1-junkie.... Just listen and compare the first song (Weekend something...) - it is reference material in stereo and a sonic mess in multichannel.

There are a lot of good 5.1-mixes out there and to mention some example from the same era as Harvest - have a listen to the early Elton John albums in SACD - they all have terrific (descrete and adventurous but not gimmicky) 5.1-mixes.

//Uffe

It's true. Both Harvest and Greendale have limited to strange 5.1 mixes, and "Road Rock" is just a video soundtrack. The potential for NY 5.1 is there, but I don't think we've seen it reached yet.

It would be nice if Mr. Scheiner had lunch with NY some day! :D

Back