I Need a Receiver with Analog Inputs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odys

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I recently purchased an Oppo 105D and I'm looking for advice on getting a receiver with 7.1 analog inputs. I'd like to stay under $1000, if possible. So far the best bets seem to be in the Marantz line. A few I'm considering: SR5008 (refurbished) for $499 ($899 list), a new SR7007 for $899 ($1800 list), or a new 6009 for $979 ($1299 list). The 6009 is the current generation, the midline model between the 5009 and 7009. The 6009 can do DSD over analog. The 7007 is the top of the line, but is a couple of generations old, even though it's still new. The 5008 is at the lower end of the line, and is one generation old.

I like the price of the 5008, but the refurb concerns me. It does come with a 1 year warranty. At the lower end, it also has the least power at 100 wpc.
The 6009 is the most current and as mentioned does DSD.
The 7007 is the high end, but is it showing it's age?

Can I go cheap with the 5008, or do the other two models offer enough to justify the price? Should I stick with HDMI on my Pioneer SC-63? Any other brand suggestions would be welcome as well. Thanks.

Check out accsessories4less too. Multi channel analog inputs are getting real tough to find anymore, now usually on higher end units.
I lucked out with my Onkyo 809, it has both type. And I scored that guy for only $150.00-class b amps- fet- and 130 watts.
I understand the 105 has a very good 2.0 analog out section, you may wish to stick with just 2.0 amp.

The 6009 can do DSD over analog.
What do you mean? Analog is analog regardless of the source.

I like the price of the 5008, but the refurb concerns me. It does come with a 1 year warranty. At the lower end, it also has the least power at 100 wpc.
The 6009 is the most current and as mentioned does DSD.
The 7007 is the high end, but is it showing it's age?
If you are going with the analog connection between the Oppo and the receiver, the ability of the AVR to handle DSD over HDMI is irrelevant.

What do you mean? Analog is analog regardless of the source.

If you are going with the analog connection between the Oppo and the receiver, the ability of the AVR to handle DSD over HDMI is irrelevant.

Maybe I'm confused, but I read a review that said lower end receivers could only play DSD files through the asynchronous USB, requiring a computer connection. The 6009 review said it could play DSD (from an external drive) through the analog connection. I don't have any DSD downloads at the moment, just looking towards the future.

Odys - I just recently purchased a Denon X4000 refurb from Amazon. It's absolutely brand new. don't be afraid of refurb, you can get an amazing AVR for 1/3 or half the price.

Maybe I'm confused, but I read a review that said lower end receivers could only play DSD files through the asynchronous USB, requiring a computer connection.
That is a generalization and has some truth but you didn't say "play DSD files" but "do DSD," whatever that means. The Oppo will play DSD files from drives attached to its USB input and it will output the analog to the AVR's analog inputs. For this the AVR needs no DSD capabilities at all.

The 6009 review said it could play DSD (from an external drive) through the analog connection.
This statement makes no sense at all.

I don't have any DSD downloads at the moment, just looking towards the future.
The Oppo will play them for sure. Whether any particular AVR will do so, depends on the particular AVR. Some do.

I was milling around the 'net just looking, decided to look to see what Marantz has to offer, and discovered that it has a new range of AV Amps with 7.1 analogue inputs.

SR8015
1597875159716.png

SR7015
1597875214040.png

and similarly for the SR6015 & SR6014

I was milling around the 'net just looking, decided to look to see what Marantz has to offer, and discovered that it has a new range of AV Amps with 7.1 analogue inputs.

SR8015
View attachment 55380
SR7015
View attachment 55381
and similarly for the SR6015 & SR6014
I'm actually considering the SR8015 for my next AVR upgrade, here some specs:

Hi-Res Audio Support
The ability to decode Hi-Res audio ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files up to 24-bit/192-kHz, as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks (the audiophile format of SACD) lets you enjoy each note exactly as the artist intended. Listen to your music via the front panel USB port or over network sources.

ATMOS with 7.1 analog inputs. Great find! This is just what GOS needs. Perfect for the Surround Master.
Problem is, there aren't enough of them out there. Marantz is great, but what about their sister company, Denon? How about Onkyo? Pioneer? Sony? I mean, how much more could it cost to include these connections, as well as an output to feed a Surround Master, or similar decoder? What about those who have a fine universal DVD or blu-ray player that they don't want to give up? While we're at it, with the resurgence of interest in vinyl, where are the MM phono inputs? You have to go to the more expensive models to get those, and in most cases, you still don't have the analog MC inputs! It's time the receiver manufacturers listened to the people who'd be buying their products to upgrade their systems, but still want to keep certain existing components. Comments?

It's time the receiver manufacturers listened to the people who'd be buying their products to upgrade their systems, but still want to keep certain existing components. Comments?
I am guessing that the vast majority of the AVR market has no concerns or, even, awareness of these issues and that's why the manufacturers do not see any reason to include them, even at an incremental cost increase.

Problem is, there aren't enough of them out there. Marantz is great, but what about their sister company, Denon? How about Onkyo? Pioneer? Sony? I mean, how much more could it cost to include these connections, as well as an output to feed a Surround Master, or similar decoder? What about those who have a fine universal DVD or blu-ray player that they don't want to give up? While we're at it, with the resurgence of interest in vinyl, where are the MM phono inputs? You have to go to the more expensive models to get those, and in most cases, you still don't have the analog MC inputs! It's time the receiver manufacturers listened to the people who'd be buying their products to upgrade their systems, but still want to keep certain existing components. Comments?

Yes I agree it would be good if there was more of a selection . But a company isn't going to add something like that unless it makes a good bump in sales. And it would not, just like having an S-Video connection would not matter much to anyone. The resurgence in vinyl LP's are mainly novelty seeking newcomers and Amazon reports that low end USB TT's are the big seller. And most people buying HT receivers are buying it for,well, home theater not music. Myself, it's a non-issue as I don't have a receiver, I use separate components. I am just glad for those that do need a receiver with analog inputs DuncanS found some good ones.

At one point Involve had a list of Surround Master compatible receivers on their website. It is gone now but would be good to have back & up-dated.

The Marantz do have MM Phono inputs, as does my current Pioneer. But it would be convenient if they just allowed for a stereo source to be output and a multi-channel to be input. So to use my SM2: I have a very nice Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 Ultra feeding it (via a switch so between TT & Oppo stereo o/p), and the analogue from the SM2 into the Pioneer. Still a bit of a pain.

The Marantz do have MM Phono inputs, as does my current Pioneer. But it would be convenient if they just allowed for a stereo source to be output and a multi-channel to be input.

i notice many A/V reveivers as well as Pre-Pro's have a zone 2 output. So in that case you could choose phono as input & send to zone 2 and select MCH in for zone 1, main listening area.

I still am all analog. Save for he Oppo 205 (which actually has an HDMI to plug in a PlayStation for instance), all my components are 100% analog. Since you actually *hear* in analog , It just flat-out sounds better IMHO-- the centerpiece being the legendary Conrad Johnson MET1 multichannel tube preamplifier (along with sister McCormick HT5 amp). The MET actually not one but two 7.1 analog inputs.

Also, although currently not in use, for PC-based DSD I actually have an also-rare Exasound E28 multichannel DAC with analog out. why

Ironically though, I can't get an analog turntable to work in it without mind-numbing hum and buzz... I finally just gave up. That's a whole other saga...

Last edited:
I am guessing that the vast majority of the AVR market has no concerns or, even, awareness of these issues and that's why the manufacturers do not see any reason to include them, even at an incremental cost increase.
So, don't know if you're personally using an AVR in your system Kal, or have separates; but you know this gear I would think. If you were buying a new AVR this year that had analog inputs and all the latest HDMI and other specs, which one would "YOU" buy?

Back