Fried Eggs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
I was at the Future shop yesterday and they did away with their small Hi-Rez section. They were sending everything back DVD-A and SACD. It looked like they needed more room for the HD DVD and Blu Ray discs. Maybe it's just me but I think it's strange to close your SACD section the week before you sell the most SACD players (PS3) ever.:confused:

Best Buy's hi res section in Mississauga is down to 2 measly little sections, with the same crap all the time. On the retail level, it's over Johnny.....IT'S OVER!!!!!

Does anyone know for sure if the PS3's can play SACD's? I read an article in a trade magazine for movies & DVD's, they listed a long list of comaptable formats that it will play - DVD - CD - Blueray etc. But there was no mention of SACD. I was really hoping it was going to play them???

Does anyone know for sure if the PS3's can play SACD's? I read an article in a trade magazine for movies & DVD's, they listed a long list of comaptable formats that it will play - DVD - CD - Blueray etc. But there was no mention of SACD. I was really hoping it was going to play them???

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/gallery.html

Check out the picture of the side of the unit. SACD logo on it.

Spence

I still think that once the HD DVD and Blu Ray formats have completely underwhelmed the public, and there are no actual Audio based titles released except for the odd Video, people may finally realise that HD DVD & Blu Ray is for MOVIES, and not music.
Then we will see a renaissance of DVD-A/V and possibly SACD as well.

I still think that once the HD DVD and Blu Ray formats have completely underwhelmed the public, and there are no actual Audio based titles released except for the odd Video, people may finally realise that HD DVD & Blu Ray is for MOVIES, and not music.
Then we will see a renaissance of DVD-A/V and possibly SACD as well.

Neil,
Unfortunately, the "public" still wants video and movies and bright shiny objects. Especially the bright shiny objects. Ohhh...look at that! They will be happy with the audio presented on the HD formats as well because they won't venture forth to try anything else. I have enough friends that think this way to know that one or both of these formats will no doubt be successful with all the HD displays being sold. We will still be roadkill on the highway of music.

I found no info on SACD on the PS3 US web site , but the others do mention it
Fried Eggs = Sony long term planners
Fried Eggs = Record companies heads that base their future on an easily copied format

Brampton Best Buy still has a small hi-rez section, but it doesn't appear to getting any new stock as stuff gets sold. I havn't actually seen a PS3 in person, does anyone know if it has a 6 ch. output? Without one, I'm not sure it's going to do much good for folks in this forum. :confused:

If you have HDMI you can probably used the PS3 for both SACD and DVD-A. If you are just using the optical you are probably just tuck with DVD-A I would suspect since it won't handle SACD.

If you have HDMI you can probably used the PS3 for both SACD and DVD-A. If you are just using the optical you are probably just tuck with DVD-A I would suspect since it won't handle SACD.

Optical TOSlink will certainly not play Multichannel DVD-A.
Neither will S/P-DIF (Co-Axial)
You need to use HDMI, I-Link (Or whatever brand of FireWire is available) or the 6 analogue RCA outputs for both DVD-A and SACD.

The local DVD-A/SACD section at Best Buy is getting smaller and smaller, most of the DVD-A's have gone (still Santana, Diana Krall, and a few others), while the SACD's collect dust. I know there are a few Audio Fidelity titles still there (Richie Valens, The Zombies, Buddy Rich).

The local DVD-A/SACD section at Best Buy is getting smaller and smaller, most of the DVD-A's have gone (still Santana, Diana Krall, and a few others), while the SACD's collect dust. I know there are a few Audio Fidelity titles still there (Richie Valens, The Zombies, Buddy Rich).

But today there seems to be a bit of a blip on the radar where DVD-A once again becomes viable. "Love", "Perception" and "If Only I Could Remember My Name". A trio of titles that together make a statement! :D

If DVD-Audio could arise from the ashes of the format war as a victor, maybe it will hang on. The three titles currently being released should help. I recall how long the compact cassette hung on in obscurity before it finally caught on and replaced the eight track (though not for quad). You never know what might transpire. I recently sent a letter to a doctor who talked to my wife about the DVD-Audio player that came in his car as OEM equipment. I directed him to this website. He apparently had accidently purchased a DVD Audio disc and his system came alive when he played it! I have yet to get a response, but I know he's interested in surround. Since there are cars being sold with these systems already in them, it may help. But then, Ford did this with Q8 players, and it didn't save quad. But it did provide a source of Q8's long after they were not availlable in stores. I bought a lot of Q8's from Ford Motors. If you want to see one of these players, there was one in the movie Men In Black, when a shot of the dashboard of the Ford LTD was shown, you can see the quad player. I don't think the tape that they played was a Q8 though, just stereo.

The Quadfather

Back