SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching Michael Fremer's recent interview conducted in UMG's IRON MOUNTAIN underground vaults, I was struck when he came across some ANGEL Records and casually exclaimed that Capitol/EMI was incapable of releasing decent LP pressings during that period when Angel released literally hundreds of 'poorly pressed' SQ encoded vinyl. I thought it was my rinky dink turntable of that period when each Angel SQ LP I placed on it was rife with horrible ticks and pops making the disc almost unplayable. And after returning dozens of them to my local record store for 'replacements' I was only met with MORE of the SAME. And Fremer did admit .... the recordings themselves were sonically stunning ...it's the poor replication on vinyl that was suspect.

Now that WARNER owns the EMI/Angel Classical label and is NOW embarking on releasing their Rock/Pop/Jazz QUAD catalogue on Pure Audio BD~A in 192/24 resolution, am wishing and hoping that Warner's classical division will eventually do the same for its abundant and exquisite ANGEL SQ back catalogue.

Quadraphonic Discography "Classical Recordings - Complete List" [look under ANGEL]
Wow that would be amazing.

Having celebrated their 40th Anniversary in the Classical Music Business in 2019, CHANDOS RECORDS has released a 40 RBCD box set for the ridiculously low retail price of £60 and the contents of the box set are as follows:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/ANNI 0040
U.S. retailer ImportCD also carries the set:

https://www.importcds.com/landmarks-40-years/095115004029
Although a lot of the content has previously been issued in the MultiCH SACD format.....for newcomers this may be a great place to start!
Landmarks: 40 Years

I purchased the Complete Organ Works of J.S. Bach that were analog recordings from France (I think) but were sold in FLAC. I wish I played an instrument (I begged my parents for piano lessons and they said no because we didn’t have room for a piano in our tiny house….and getting one into the basement…well I was game but not the parental units). I started listening to Bach organ works in high school and originally bought the Complete Works on LP (18 records for $20.00 in 1971 at a bookstore in Milwaukee). The set I bought on FLAC has like 378 tracks….it is awesome!

I purchased the Complete Organ Works of J.S. Bach that were analog recordings from France (I think) but were sold in FLAC. I wish I played an instrument (I begged my parents for piano lessons and they said no because we didn’t have room for a piano in our tiny house….and getting one into the basement…well I was game but not the parental units). I started listening to Bach organ works in high school and originally bought the Complete Works on LP (18 records for $20.00 in 1971 at a bookstore in Milwaukee). The set I bought on FLAC has like 378 tracks….it is awesome!
A little hard to find these days, but worth seeking out.
61tu3DYSATL.jpg

A few new releases: the BMOP/sound label manager confirmed to me that the new recording of Anthony Davis's X: The Life of Times of Malcolm X, will indeed be released on hybrid multi-channel SACD:

(I believe this Friday is a "Bandcamp Friday"!)

I have to confess that as much as I like composer Anthony Davis, a lot of modern opera, including this one, leaves me cold. But I think it's still a fascinating work--I find parts of the score very compelling--and with a new production at the Met, it's been getting a lot of press this week. (Edit/postscript: The Times's review is slightly equivocal, primarily about the singer of the title role, but the set design and the overall production sound stunning. And I also find opera more interesting in performance than I do on record.) Also: it's Bandcamp Friday again, an excellent time to support small labels who take chances on non-mainstream music!

Last edited:
Just listened to this. Only flute and piano, so not an Atmos system seller. But I was amused by my own ignorance with a song.

Back in the 80s, I heard a song being used as the theme for a radio program. Always loved the song but had no idea what the song was.

Turns out it was Beau soir, CD 84. A beautiful song and now after all these decades I know what the name is.

I'm new to this thread and hope someone can comment. A long time ago...I purchased the Quad SQ LP of Leonard Bernstein's Mass. I also got to see a production at the Kennedy Center which used Quad in the theatre. I'm not finding any new formats for this work and hope Dutton/Vocalion will remedy this (hint-hint).
Leonard Bernsein - Mass SQ.jpeg

But then I stumbled on this and because the price was right, I ordered it right away. Have you heard it? What do you think?
Leonard Bernstein Mass Ken Nagano.jpeg

Also, am I correct in finding classical work omitted from the polls, or is there not enough interest for voting?

Last edited:
I'm new to this thread and hope someone can comment. A long time ago...I purchased the Quad SQ LP of Leonard Bernstein's Mass. I also got to see a production at the Kennedy Center which used Quad in the theatre. I'm not finding any new formats for this work and hope Dutton/Vocalion will remedy this (hint-hint). If someone on this forum has a multichannel digital rip of the LP, please let me know. I have the stereo CD, but would love to hear it again in Quad.
View attachment 98551
But then I stumbled on this and because the price was right, I ordered it right away. Have you heard it? What do you think?
View attachment 98552
Also, am I correct in finding classical work omitted from the polls, or is there not enough interest for voting?
AFAIK, Rusty, Bernstein's MASS has long been a topic on the forum and hopefully at some point Dutton Vocalion can gain access to the QUAD analogue Masters and release it as a 2 disc QUAD SACD!

The Kent Nagano 2 SACD set is fine. Have it also. Another excellent 2 multi~CH SACD interpretation:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=5729
BTW, the Järvi MASS is favored over the Nagano version [again I have BOTH and agree]

What I'm really looking forward to is the new biopic MAESTRO directed by and starring Bradley Cooper as Leonard Bernstein .... and produced by Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg:

R.a8ee3d79bb5510b82ba74210dddcbf59

I have Kent Nagano's performance of Bernstein's Mass. It is a long time since I have listened to it in two channels. I remember a fairly involving interpretation but I have no other artistic reference for this work. You've just gave me the wish to listen to this disc another time. :) I will give it a try in 3 channels (I have no surround speaker, for the time being).

I'm new to this thread and hope someone can comment. A long time ago...I purchased the Quad SQ LP of Leonard Bernstein's Mass. I also got to see a production at the Kennedy Center which used Quad in the theatre. I'm not finding any new formats for this work and hope Dutton/Vocalion will remedy this (hint-hint). If someone on this forum has a multichannel digital rip of the LP, please let me know. I have the stereo CD, but would love to hear it again in Quad.
View attachment 98551
View attachment 98552
Wow: you saw Mass at the Kennedy Center! (Just last year, or earlier? And they had a quad sound system? Amazing!)

I'll add my voice to 4EW's: it's many a QQ classical fan's fondest dream to see Dutton reissue this. Until then, I think Järvi's performance is better than Nagano's (and the surround mix is more exciting, too).

You surmise correctly: if there's no poll for a classical title, then there's probably no demand for it--but you could always ask a mod to start one. Sometimes, though, the poll for a given title just hasn't had enough votes to become visible, and it pays to do a Google Search ("quadraphonicquad" + artist, title, etc.).

Last edited:
Wow: you saw Mass at the Kennedy Center! (Just last year, or earlier? And they had a quad sound system? Amazing!)

I'll add my voice to 4EW's: it's many a QQ classical fan's fondest dream to see Dutton reissue this. Until then, I think Järvi's performance is better than Nagano's (and the surround mix is more exciting, too).

You surmise correctly: if there's no poll for a classical title, then there's probably no demand for it--but you could always ask a mod to start one. Sometimes, though, the poll for a given title just hasn't had enough votes to become visible, and it pays to do a Google Search ("quadraphonicquad" + artist, title, etc.).
HumProf, I found the Kristjan Järvi release and checking Discogs confirms that it is multichannel. I picked this up for a very nice price. Now I'll have two surround experiences and will be able to compare notes with you. (y)
Bernstein - Mass Kristjan Jarvi.jpg

I was very lucky that the Kennedy Center decided to do a 10 year celebration of Bernstein's Mass. You can watch it now thanks to PBS and YouTube.

As you said, it was also performed September, 2022.
https://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/...eturns 51,Kennedy Center's 1971 opening gala.

Back