Billy Cobham - Spectrum AF 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good reasoning again Clint!!! I got lucky & paid $15 new & long OOP. But if I were to sell my opened copy now though (not Bloody likely) and (like new-of course), I'd want $100 for it (whether I'd get that is something else) but:
I don't see any for sale at discogs.
One used one in only "Good" condition for sale for $103.99 on Amazon.
And the next cheapest on for sale on ebay "used - like new" is $149.99!:eek:

Don't be fooled by what people are asking and what they could get...worlds apart in some instances...just because it's scarce doesn't mean it's coveted so much they will pay a premium price for it...now here is an example...a guy is selling a USED Division Bell Box Set with vinyl AND the blu ray containing the surround mix....he writes in the comments that he is only selling it because he needs the money and if he doesn't get his price...he will just keep it...fine...I understand that...so his great sacrifice is HERE...now check out the listing a couple of items above him for a new version with free shipping and a seller that is willing to entertain an offer here...some people will just put something out there to see if someone will bite...

Don't be fooled by what people are asking and what they could get...worlds apart in some instances...just because it's scarce doesn't mean it's coveted so much they will pay a premium price for it...now here is an example...a guy is selling a USED Division Bell Box Set with vinyl AND the blu ray containing the surround mix....he writes in the comments that he is only selling it because he needs the money and if he doesn't get his price...he will just keep it...fine...I understand that...so his great sacrifice is HERE...now check out the listing a couple of items above him for a new version with free shipping and a seller that is willing to entertain an offer here...some people will just put something out there to see if someone will bite...

Of course, and I did say -"I'd want $100 for it (whether I'd get that is something else)"

Wise decision on Spectrum...in regards to 6 String Theory...the problem with 6 String Theory isn't the quality...it's the fact that many of us bought those Monster Discs when they were only $10 on the Monster Web Site...so a lot of us have that title and the rest that decided against it are reluctant to reverse their decision for 6 times the original cost....I have it and I like it a lot...all the Monster Discs that I have purchased are excellent...better than their cables:eek:

You got that right CLINTY! Monster Cables were household names but IMO, were patently mediocre! OTOH, their Monster Discs were uniformly superb and I can still kick myself in the arse for shelling out $50 for a used copy of Miles' Sketches of Spain when it temporarily went OOP only to have it reissued at $10~$15 BRAND SPANKIN' NEW!

Of course, and I did say -"I'd want $100 for it (whether I'd get that is something else)"

JP, you can buy a lot of cheese for $100! Don't fall for that trap.......

index.php

Just squeakin' by

The assumption that a less popular title means lower price expectations is false. It's the cult items, lower sales numbers that make an item sky-rocket in price. Not the well known masterworks we all love.

Think for example of the 13th Floor Elevators original LPs. Not everyone's cup of tea, not popular, and no hits. Then look at the prices being PAID for those originals. This is the factor driving Spectrum, it's a cult Fusion album, not everyone's cut of tea at all. But for the fusion fan, it's a holy grail album. Go look at the other audiophile reissues and deluxe Japanese mini-LPs issued of this. Then look at the prices they fetch on ebay.

So don't let anyone tell that it's just not a popular album and therefor it should not command higher prices. That's not how music collectibles work.

It will command higher prices than other AF 4.0 SACD. maybe not $100+, but it will always be a desirable disc from AF and fetch a high premium. Perhaps higher than any other 4.0 SACD that they released.

Last edited:
...it's a cult Fusion album, not everyone's cut of tea at all.
But for the fusion fan, it's a holy grail album...

IMHO, the cult of Tommy Bolin drives the demand for this disc, more than Cobham, Hammer, et al.

I should know, I'm a charter member from 1969.
The quad SACD is what enticed me to surround when it was released.
I read about it on the Tommy Bolin Archives.

True or false? Spectrum sold out faster that any AF quad SACD.
I assume it was Tommy Bolin fans like me who snapped them up, many who only listen in stereo.

True or false? Spectrum sold out faster that any AF quad SACD.
I assume it was Tommy Bolin fans like me who snapped them up, many who only listen in stereo.
One (or more) of several things happened.

AF decided that they would do a smaller run than normal because it is a "cult" like album, and like some have said, not everyone's favorite Jazz / Rock Fusion recording. 1,500 to 2,000 maybe.

Then it sold less (than hoped) on initial run, and AF decided not to do a repress, or Warner Music called up Marshall and said we have a little problem, Billy or Cobham's manager never approved that mix in the 70s, and it's still not artist approved. Please do not run off any more. Or Warner's called and said we no longer license any of our quad mixes until further notice, please sell what you have already pressed - with no further repressings.

I am under the impression that unit sales simply did not warrant further pressings, and that is it.

Marshall told me that Warner's never had an issue with him and the 4.0 masters, it was 5.1 that became "off limits" at some point after the Benson or Washington AF SACDs. I was told that any issues with Warner / 4.0 was in regards to artist/manager approvals, cost, or missing / poor quality tapes.

Last edited:
Back