DVD/DTS Poll Gavin Harrison & O5Ric - THE MAN WHO SOLD HIMSELF [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - THE MAN WHO SOLD HIMSELF

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this CD/DVD-V release from kscope records. (y):phones(n)

Despite having a DVD-Audio logo on the disc, the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. Sorry this is a DVD-V, so I'm moving it to the proper section. Thanks to Lizard King, who got to me before I actually played the disc.

There's even reference to it being a DVD-A on kScope's own website:

Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself

kscope.jpg

Also, there is an ongoing thread in the forum concerning this title at the following link:

Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself (CD & 5.1 DVD-V)

Unfortunatley, this is NOT an Opus Production.

Man who Sold Himself Front.jpg
Man who Sold Himself Back.jpg

This one is in a similar vein to Circles..

Shame on them for not doing a DVD-A :mad:. It gets a point off for that....

Not as good a mix as Circles IMHO, still quite nice music.
Poorly authored DVD defaulting to Dolby and causes my DVD player to crash if i try and use the Audio option selector (Something that does not happen with any other DVD I have) so i ahve to 'Hot swap' the audio streams.
1 off for the mix not being as good as the previous disc
1 off for the lack of true DVDA
1 off for the bad authoring

The mix is somewhat better than Circles as far as the drums/percussion are concerned. Seems to be recorded with surround in mind. The music is in the same style: strange jazz with no easy melodies.
I'll play it some more before I vote.

Finally spun the DTS 5.1 today. I love the packaging and visuals, if it was DVD-A it would be top notch. Not bad for what it is. I've only a casual listen under my belt so will have to give it some time. There were some very discrete elements coming out of the back in a very natural so that's fun.

Totally love Gavin's playing in just about every context, I'm surprised that this offshoot isn't more adventurous; by that I mean they seem to stick within the same territory deploying the same devices repeatedly. I'll give it few more spins and go back through the previous albums too.

Last edited:
Back