Quad LP/Tape Poll Outlaws, The: Lady In Waiting [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD-4/Q8 of The Outlaws - Lady In Waiting

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Lady In Waiting was country-rock band The Outlaws' second studio album and sole quad release, issued on CD-4 LP and quad 8-track in 1976. The follow-up to their 1975 self-titled album (which included the top-40 hit single "Just Another Love Song"), Lady In Waiting peaked at #36 on the US charts and featured the single "Breaker-Breaker".

Outlaws Front.jpeg
Outlaws Back.jpeg
Outlaws Disc.jpeg
Outlaws Q8 .jpeg

Arista AQ 40470 [CD-4 LP] 7301-4070 H [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: Lady In Waiting
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Steve Klein
Quadraphonic remix assistant: Steve Hart

Side 1
  1. Breaker-Breaker
  2. South Carolina
  3. Ain't So Bad
  4. Freeborn Man
  5. Girl From Ohio
Side 2
  1. Lover Boy
  2. Just For You
  3. Prisoner
  4. Stick Around For Rock 'N' Roll

I'm giving this one a bump as I feel it's an underrated gem with a great quad mix. If you liked the Pure Prairie League and Poco quad albums issued on SACD by D-V, you'll likely enjoy this album as well. "Ain't So Bad" almost feels like an outtake from The Eagles' debut LP or Desperado, whereas "Girl From Ohio" could've been on the New Riders Of The Purple Sage self-titled album.

Unlike some of the other Arista quad titles (Barry Manilow's This One's For You springs to mind as particularly awful), my CD-4 pressing actually sounds excellent. The high-end response is considerably better than some Q8 conversions I've heard.

The quad mix typically splits the twin electric guitars diagonally in front right and rear left, with the drum kit stretching over all four corners. The front-to-back guitar interplay midway through "Freeborn Man" is a demonstration-quality moment. It's a bit disappointing to have all the vocals confined to the center front position though, I would've liked to hear some of the harmonies mixed to the rears.

I first heard of the "Outlaws" when CITI-FM used to play "Ghost Riders". I quickly bought the LP and still think that it is fantastic! I don't recall when I bought the CD-4 of "Lady In Waiting" but I was some years latter. I don't recall ever hearing any of it before that time.

So overall performance wise it's very good, as pointed out it's similar to Poco in style. I'm going to vote eight. While my CD-4 rip sounds good (no sandpaper), it still has some fidelity issues, I'm sure that a high resolution version would rate a nine or maybe even a ten!

Back