Disc Failure Explanation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyemerson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'm interested to know what the possible explanation could be for disc failures such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon BD and Bryan Adams' Reckless BD. Does anyone know or would anyone care to take an educated guess as to what the reason could be?

Seems mysterious how there can be no visible damage like a scratch or disc rot and yet the disc will one day just stop working. Could it be some sort of microscopic disintegration of the layer(s) with all the info on it?

I've only experienced this with one disc so far and it was one of my Dad's MASH DVDs. We've tried it on 2 players and it won't load. You can hear the mechanism trying to get going but it can't seem to start reading it. I haven't tried to MKV it yet but will see how that goes.

On a related note, I've had some brand new CDs skip like they're scratched or dirty but they're not and they skip in different places on different plays. I've managed to rip these to WAVs though and the WAVs play fine. Weird.

I have seen CD rot and DVD failure before. The CD rotted because it was cut into a square by the manufaturer and failed to seal the cuts. The DVD was a disc in the Roots box. I had borrowed it from a friend and it had visible holes in the aluminum layer without visible damage to either side of the disc. As to the failure of my Bryan Adams blu-ray, it is complete failure as if the data simply disappeared. I too would like to know more about the blu-ray issue. As to the CD rot I have, the disc still played last time I tried, but it had difficulty loading. BTW it was a Dr. Who CD that was apparently the cause of legal issues with the people who licence the CD format.

I'm interested to know what the possible explanation could be for disc failures such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon BD and Bryan Adams' Reckless BD. Does anyone know or would anyone care to take an educated guess as to what the reason could be?

Seems mysterious how there can be no visible damage like a scratch or disc rot and yet the disc will one day just stop working. Could it be some sort of microscopic disintegration of the layer(s) with all the info on it?

I've only experienced this with one disc so far and it was one of my Dad's MASH DVDs. We've tried it on 2 players and it won't load. You can hear the mechanism trying to get going but it can't seem to start reading it. I haven't tried to MKV it yet but will see how that goes.

On a related note, I've had some brand new CDs skip like they're scratched or dirty but they're not and they skip in different places on different plays. I've managed to rip these to WAVs though and the WAVs play fine. Weird.
RE: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon BD

This disc failure symptom is (quite common) of the European made disc only, US copies are not to my knowledge having any issues with this title.

This reminds me of the throw away discs made years ago, don't remember what they were called. They would simply stop working after a few plays. I believe the plastic would darken after numerous plays rendering the disc unplayable. Did someone mention their failed disc dark in color? I don't have any to compare.

My CD with rot is bronzed looking but still plays with patience. My blu-ray failure has not changed colour or appearance. I co,pared it to other similar discs and saw no change. The DVD I saw with failure had holes in the reflective layer (dual sided disc) but not in the clear top and bottom and no colour change.

I have some CDs that are hard to get started on certain players but not others; is there also differences in the read power of the lasers? Actually; never had a CD that stopped playing only DVDs & Blu-Ray.

Itā€™s all a
1571415747714.jpeg

I have some CDs that are hard to get started on certain players but not others; is there also differences in the read power of the lasers? Actually; never had a CD that stopped playing only DVDs & Blu-Ray.

Itā€™s all a
View attachment 43587

I've had problems with a coupe of CD's where the Marantz DV9600 just won't recognize them. The Guess Who American Woman CD is one of them. I bought another copy some time after the first and it had the same problem. It played OK in the Oppo and in the Sony Bluray deck. I think that the Marantz was getting fussy in its old age and that run of CDs possibly suffered from a manufacturing "excursion"...just enough to mess up that Marantz player. (It's inmaterial now because DV gave us the American Woman SACD quad. Go DV!!!)

Itā€™s all a
View attachment 43587

The laser has a shorter wavelength (blue rather than red; hence, Blu-Ray - funny, because HD-DVD was also, technically, Blue Ray) in order to read information that is much more densely packed on the disc. As with any situation where you're trying to do more with less, there is also more room for error and malfunction.

I am going to ask this question in case I decide to buy other possibly failure prone discs. Is there a list of failed titles, particularly surround sound audio discs? Maybe we could add them here as we have experienced them or a new thread for listing failed disc titles could be started and possibly made sticky

I am going to ask this question in case I decide to buy other possibly failure prone discs. Is there a list of failed titles, particularly surround sound audio discs? Maybe we could add them here as we have experienced them or a new thread for listing failed disc titles could be started and possibly made sticky
Good idea, with exact disc info might also be helpful. And might eventually be able to narrow it down to a particular production facility.

I posted this info on the Bryan Adams thread from Janice;

Regarding other issues with faulty product, Iā€™m afraid there isnā€™t what we may call a central ā€œcomplaintsā€ department or procedure as it all depends on the record label for each release. Initially I was working, with a team, on the Abbey Road blu-ray issue (as it is a very recent release) and we announced our contact details on the Steve Hoffmann forum. However, we did receive, as you know šŸ˜Š, messages regarding other artists. In each case I replied separately and was able to help, luckily! I would hope that, if there were any future problems, a similar team would also be set up to deal with each one so I think those music forums would be the best place to start.

I hope this helps and answers some questions we might have.

Back