It was Fifty Years Ago Today, Monty Python Taught Us How To Play

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
My apologies for the Beatle/Python mashup. But all this 50 yr anniversary stuff is making my head spin. It's been nothing but landmark anniversary's recently & Monty Phythons Flying Circus was one of them. Yup debuting in the UK October 5th, 1969.

I'm not sure when it made it to the U.S. I remember for sure watching in '74. Like Saturday Night Live it really made it cool to stay home on the weekend with friends & laugh your heads off.

I can only imagine folks in the UK listening to the Goon Show thinking "if only we could actually see this sillines on the telly". I'm glad they did as The Pythons were responsible for me burning thousand's of calories spent laughing my ass off.

Anyone have any particular Python sketch that is their favorite?

I've always loved the "Yorkshiremen sketch", "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" & "The Bruce sketch". Teachers at school probably didn't like Monty Python as I remember some 'irritation' the day after "The Well Basically" sketch, when the answer to any teacher's question started with "Well basically...…"

Monty Python's Norwegian Blue 50th Anniversary Box Set - which I'll end up buying. I have an earlier video Anniversary set, and another on DVD, yes I'm crazy!

Then there is the Book Monty Python's Flying Circus: Hidden Treasures, Hardcover – Illustrated, 6 Sep 2019

and I bought The Radio Times Official Guide To Monty Python At 50

I'm waiting for Royal Mail to release a Stamp collection - there was one in 2015 it turns out! :ROFLMAO:

I've always loved the "Yorkshiremen sketch", "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" & "The Bruce sketch". Teachers at school probably didn't like Monty Python as I remember some 'irritation' the day after "The Well Basically" sketch, when the answer to any teacher's question started with "Well basically...…"

Monty Python's Norwegian Blue 50th Anniversary Box Set - which I'll end up buying. I have an earlier video Anniversary set, and another on DVD, yes I'm crazy!

Then there is the Book Monty Python's Flying Circus: Hidden Treasures, Hardcover – Illustrated, 6 Sep 2019

and I bought The Radio Times Official Guide To Monty Python At 50

I'm waiting for Royal Mail to release a Stamp collection - there was one in 2015 it turns out! :ROFLMAO:
Great links, thanks! But just when I'm trying to conserve $$ you tempt me with The Python's in Blu. I have no will power....

Which would answer my question: will it play in Region 1 ?
It will probably be 50Hz, so it may not play in old non-european-market TVs.

My Civilisation BDs do not play in my bedroom TV, a Panasonic plasma 2007 model. They play in my other TV, a newer model.

Anyone have any particular Python sketch that is their favorite?

Sam Peckinpah's "Salad Days" is up there just because it shocked me as a teenager. SNL hadn't yet had Julia Child "cut the dickens out of my finger."

"The Undertaker Sketch" is pretty hilariously offensive, too. Having the audience revolt at the end was a compromise with the BBC censors, who initially said no. Or at least that's the legend.

Ministry of Funny Walks?

AbbeyRd.gif

Back