Live Discrete (not Ambient)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amokZamboni

Anyone want to list their favorite live work that is mixed discretely? Most all I've heard are ambient with only reverb and clapping in the rears.
Cheers.

Just now listening to Blackfield Live in NYC. Nice mix (as with all of Mr Wilson's).

BLACKFIELD_LIVE+IN+NEW+YORK+CITY-416374.jpg

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS-CD/DVD-V), Farewell I Tour (DVD-V/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray)
John Fogerty- Premonition (DVD-V)
Fleetwood Mac- The Dance (DVD-V)
Roy Orbison- Black & White Night (DVD-A/DVD-V/SACD/Blu-Ray.... but AVOID the newer blu-ray version it's an ambient remix)

All mixed by the great Elliott Scheiner- as such they feature prominent elements like horns, guitars, and backing vocals in the rear speakers rather than ambiance.

Some others worth checking out:

The Allman Brothers' Live At The Fillmore East on DTS-CD, which contains the original quad mix. The 5.1 SACDs of Eat A Peach and Live At The Fillmore East are vastly inferior to their old quad counterparts.

3 Doors Down Away From The Sun Live on a "Superdisc" DVD-V from Monster Music. Contains both a traditionally ambient "in the audience" mix and an aggressive "on stage" mix of the concert.

Last edited:
Yes, I could get the Elton John one seems to have great reviews!

if you enjoy prog, metal and classic rock here's a big list

best music concerts

I'd forgotten about Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)--that's a good one.

I also quickly reviewed all my Peter Gabriel videos. Secret World Live and Still Growing Up Live (included with the Growing Up Live Blu-Ray reissue) aren't really discrete, but they regularly carry over enough drums/percussion (and even synthesized horns and/or backing vocals & guitars) into the rears to give that illusion. Meanwhile New Blood: Live in London has a massive soundstage, achieved largely with some crazy reverb. But you'll occasionally hear discrete backing vocals in the rears, too, and some tracks even wrap around strings and percussion to the rears in the loudest passages.

I'd forgotten about Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)--that's a good one.

I also quickly reviewed all my Peter Gabriel videos. Secret World Live and Still Growing Up Live (included with the Growing Up Live Blu-Ray reissue) aren't really discrete, but they regularly carry over enough drums/percussion (and even synthesized horns and/or backing vocals & guitars) into the rears to give that illusion. Meanwhile New Blood: Live in London has a massive soundstage, achieved largely with some crazy reverb. But you'll occasionally hear discrete backing vocals in the rears, too, and some tracks even wrap around strings and percussion to the rears in the loudest passages.

Peter Gabriel videos 5.1 remixes by Lanois and ??? are very good...

Peter Gabriel videos 5.1 remixes by Lanois and ??? are very good...

Daniel Lanois and Richard Chappell, I think. Yeah, they're quite nice--and apart from Up, probably the only way we'll ever hear any of Gabriel's studio work in 5.1, his avowed enthusiasm for surround notwithstanding. I was limiting my comments to the concert videos, though. (Although it's great that Gabriel included a remastered DVD of Play: The Videos with the Blu-Ray Live in Athens.)

The Elton John Dream Ticket DVD box has a concert with an orchestra that has a nice mix.

The two David Bowie live discs (Stage & David Live) are also discretely mixed.

Also check out ELO's Zoom Tour DVD. It' an Eliot Scheiner mix.

NIN - Beside You In Time
King Crimson - Summit Studio's gig (quad)
Rolling Stones - Brussels (quad)

so many,so many...........kraftwerk-minimum maximum (both sacd/dvd)...Klaus schulze-Rheingold, Steely Dan 2 Against Nature Sensuous DVD ,ALL of the many GENESIS LIVE DVDS ,Jerry Lee Lewis-Last Man Standing , Lou Reed-Montreux ,and many many more which are mentioned on at least 2 previous threads ,but u must look 4 em, because they are very much worth finding.;)

listen to Steam ,on Secret World..........does a complete circle on my set up..with that synth locomotive.

A recording that deserves an honourable mention , and is rather new , is ...Van Morrison's Live 2016.... (not ambient), and not "knock out " discreet , but nevertheless worthy of a good listen.

A few Dolby Digital only surrounds that come to mind,

Dweezil Zappa-Zappa Plays Zappa
Frank Zappa-Baby Snakes
Cowboy Junkies-Trinity Sessions Revisited (live studio, sans audience)
J.J.Cale-at Leon Russells Paradise Studio (live studio, sans audience)

All Very Discreet fwiw.

Last edited:
Sam Cooke - At The Copa SACD.

I love this disc! Makes you feel like you're there with the great SC right in front of you... Great Fidelity...

Back