Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great!
Wait until you hear the BDP-93......you'll be wanting to sell the 83 or move it to another location.

I'll sell mine...well not really.... Though it is a nice player, it still truncates the first note of each track on retail DVD-A discs. It also seems that they have completely forgotten about this player with regard to firmware updates. The new players all play FLAC files but this one does not. Not sure if that is something that could be updated but it would be nice. I also had to buy a separate box to stream Netflix - another feature now in the new ones. That would have been another nice feature to update. I never play DVDA's on my main system anymore because of the truncation problem that they can't or won't fix.

Last edited:
The truncation problem is only via HDMI and is not a player problem.
Switch to the analog outputs and the problem goes away.
I still have my BDP-83 but it's sitting in the original box right now due to the presence of the BDP-93 that replaced it a few months back.

The truncation problem is only via HDMI and is not a player problem.
Switch to the analog outputs and the problem goes away.
I still have my BDP-83 but it's sitting in the original box right now due to the presence of the BDP-93 that replaced it a few months back.
Totally untrue. I originally had it hooked up using the analogs and had the same problem. Even sent Oppo discs that I had problems with. The said they were able to replicate the problem (over a year ago) but still have no fix. I am not convinced that they will ever be able to fix it. Not worth the $499 I paid for sure! Buyer beware!

I just discovered the same track truncation problem on my Toy Matinee DVD-A with the HDMI connection. There was one firmware update available which I installed but that didn't help. I guess I will try their support and see what happens.

In the immortal words (or word) of Otto in A Fish Called Wanda - "Disappointed!!!"

I just discovered the same track truncation problem on my Toy Matinee DVD-A with the HDMI connection. There was one firmware update available which I installed but that didn't help. I guess I will try their support and see what happens.

In the immortal words (or word) of Otto in A Fish Called Wanda - "Disappointed!!!"

Good to know...I thought I was the only one...

I've tested a bunch of dvd-a that I have here (Porcupine Tree The Incidente, Staind - 14 shades of gray), and all of them have this truncation problem.

Even using the DVD-Video mode, the problem is there.

I've tested with HDMI, with Optical cable, with Analog cable, and the problem is there.

when i used those dvd-a on my PS3 (obviously playing in DVD-Video mode) the sound was ok.

You know what the worst part is? When you talk with Oppo about this they made you look like you`re insane, like the problem is something in my head... Anyway, they said they we're going to study this...¬¬

You know what the worst part is? When you talk with Oppo about this they made you look like you`re insane, like the problem is something in my head... Anyway, they said they we're going to study this...¬¬
Don't let Oppo fool you. They have known about this problem since the player was released. I even sent them discs to check out that I was having the problem with and they said that they were able to replicate the problem. They know full well about this problem and have done nothing to fix it. That's why I switched to a Denon 1610 in my main system. I am 100% happy with that player.

Whatever the problem was in the BDP-83, they've fixed it in the BDP-95. I've had it about three weeks now and it's played every DVD-A flawlessly....including some others have posted here. Maybe they can fix a firmware upgrade for the 83 based on the 95?

There was a new firmware release the other day for the BDP-83.
Not sure if it fixes the issue of Truncation because my player is stored away in the original box, out in my garage, and I really don't want to make the space to drag it out and hook it up, but will eventually.

Firmware Release:

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: March 17, 2011.
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP83-55-0226
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

Release Notes:

This firmware update is for both the standard BDP-83 and the BDP-83 Special Edition. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-50-0424, the major changes included in this version are:

Certain SACD discs with many short tracks or with a long track following several short tracks can cause the player to freeze during playback. This version fixes the issue. The crackles and pops that happened occasionally between tracks on some discs are also eliminated.

Fix for the issue of incorrect video size when playing some Blu-ray discs, such as "Patton", "Time Bandits" and "Date Night".

A small number of Blu-ray discs with Dolby TrueHD audio exhibit a momentary audio drop-out issue if the player is connected to an A/V receiver via HDMI and bitstream is selected as the HDMI Audio format. This version fixes the issue.

Support for LPCM audio streaming over home network is restored. The previous firmware did not carry this feature over from older versions. Please note that home network streaming is an experimental feature. You will need a computer running UPnP or DLNA streaming server software that can support transcoding to LPCM in order to use this feature.

The previous firmware version displays the time counter slightly too fast when playing SACD. This version fixes the issue.

Quieter laser head movement for CD playback.

Other general disc and media file compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version. This version has a known issue - When the TV aspect ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto", MKV files may be played back with an incorrect aspect ratio. The workaround is to set the TV aspect ratio to "16:9 Wide". We hope to resolve this issue with a future firmware update.

Another "It's a limitation of the player" situation for the BDP-83:
I have a couple discs that spin very noisily in the BDP-83. One of them was so bad I thought the disc itself was defective and exchanged it for another. When the replacement disc had the same problem, I contacted OPPO and they asked me to send some in. About a week after the discs were delivered to them, I asked what the status was. Here's the reply:
We received your discs and played them back on several of our BDP-83 players. All players produced the same level of noise, so the good news is that your player is not defective. The bad news is that these discs will always create this amount of vibration and transport noise.
In other words, I'm SOL as the noise is loud enough to make the affected discs unlistenable to me.

Oppo's logic is silly. "Your player is not defective." No, in fact their statement proves that all BDP-83's are defective unless it can be demonstrated that these discs produce the same errors in non-oppo players. What are the discs by the way? Maybe someone here can confirm that they play fine in other players.

The samples I sent were: Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Analog Productions CBNJ 84195 SA) and Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (B0001570-36 / UPC 602498132067). The Herbie Hancock disc is the most obvious and the one I returned for a replacement. I'm not sure if it's of any consequence but it's worth noting that both are SACD.

Two replies from OPPO about our problem:

"Most truncations are due to HDMI and optical/coaxial handshakes. This is one of the unfortunate realities of digital signals as they need to be acquired, processed, then amplified. Analog can go straight to amplification.

Secondary issues with DVD-Audio is that some authoring will cause the buffer to run out. Warner Brothers and Rhino often make DVD-Audio titles which give the player instructions to go back to the Menu/Title then go to the next Track/Group. This will cause truncations between DVD-Audio tracks as the player jogs all the way to the beginning of the disc, only to have to jog somewhere further in.

Depending on the specific reason for these truncations, we may be able to release a firmware to resolve them."

About using BDP-93 as model:

"The firmware of the two players are not interchangable. Some enhancements made to the BDP-93 are due to changes in the physical hardware (decoder, DSP, loader, etc) and the fact that we are using a full operating system instead of a proprietary shell in the BDP-83.

We have logged your observations with the engineers whom will investigate resolving them through a future firmware release."

There's nothing to do, but wait...

The samples I sent were: Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Analog Productions CBNJ 84195 SA) and Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (B0001570-36 / UPC 602498132067). The Herbie Hancock disc is the most obvious and the one I returned for a replacement. I'm not sure if it's of any consequence but it's worth noting that both are SACD.
You can find a number of QQ members with the Elton John SACD here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...on-GOODBYE-YELLOW-BRICK-ROAD-SACD-DVD-A/page2

I purchased my Yellow Brick Road from BMG and my 83 plays it perfect. I do not own Maiden Voyage so I can not comment.

My Maiden Voyage SACD plays fine with no noise on my Oppo BDP-83SE

BDP-83SE now discontinued, it seems.
Let's hope they have spare parts.....

Also, did you all know that none of the Oppo players can decode DTS-ES, DTS9624 or DD+?
They can pass in a bitstream only.

BDP-83SE now discontinued, it seems.
Let's hope they have spare parts.....

Also, did you all know that none of the Oppo players can decode DTS-ES, DTS9624 or DD+?
They can pass in a bitstream only.

I don't have a single disc I can think of with DD+ to test but I thought the Blu-ray players could decode it. I must have a test disc somewhere but if it has been confirmed as bitstream only, I won't look for it. I don't recall seeing any of the MediaTek based players that can decode 96kHz/24-Bit DTS.

Yes, that's what an AVR is for.
Plus, with most modern A/V Receivers, you get Room Correction which is mandatory.

As far as I know any AV Receivers can adjust PCM for room parameters as well so whether player decodes and outputs PCM or AVR decodes shouldn't matter in that regard. Decoding is always nice for users of the analog connections but any shortcomings in the Oppo player codec decoding must be as a result of the MediaTek decoding chip used.

Back