The Ohio Players (the Westbound & Mercury 72-76 era) quad mixes on CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
I know that 5 Ohio Players' albums (Ecstasy, Skin Tight, Fire, Honey, Contradiction) from this era (72-76) were released in Quad..

..but could it be that the two OP albums ("Pain" and "Pleasure") from the period before their 1st Quad album, were also remixed but were never released?

I only ask as I was playing through 5 of the albums of this period (the 5 from Pain to Contradiction in stereo, skipping the two quads released on DTS CD) and they ALL sounded absolutely wonderful when played back through ProLogic..!!

Just a coincidence as they're all produced in a similar way that PLII really really works well with?

Or could all the CDs of these albums be from quad/sq sources?

Skin Tight and Contradiction to my knowledge have never appeared either. Perhaps they were announced but never released like many Mercury titles.

Skin Tight and Contradiction to my knowledge have never appeared either. Perhaps they were announced but never released like many Mercury titles.

I should never trust Wikipedia! They say that there were 5 Quad Ohio Players albums in all.. D'oh!

So there were only the two that were re-released as DTS CDs? (Fire & Honey).

What are the chances they're all quad-encoded CDs, Q-Eight?

They all sound "right" in surround, just through PLII..!

I should never trust Wikipedia! They say that there were 5 Quad Ohio Players albums in all.. D'oh!

So there were only the two that were re-released as DTS CDs? (Fire & Honey).

What are the chances they're all quad-encoded CDs, Q-Eight?

They all sound "right" in surround, just through PLII..!

Five titles show up in Quad Discographies, but to my knowledge, I've never seen a Q8 of Skin Tight or Contradiction. Granted, I've only been messing with Quad for 15 years, but in all that time, I've never seen either of those titles pop up for sale here, ebay, other websites or anything. Until I even see a picture of either of these Q8's, to me it's right up there with Canned Heat's Future Blues and Caravan's Girls who Grow Plump in the Night. Vapourware.

Correct. The only two that got legit DTS-CD releases were Fire & Honey. As a side note, Ecstacy which appeared on Westbound records, is a pretty limp mix. It's basically double stereo - dry up front, reverb in the rears.

The chances of them being Encoded CD's is slim to nil. None of these albums ever had an SQ or QS-encoded LP, so I'd highly doubt a Quad-Encoded Master tape was ever prepared. I'd call it right up there with my Disco Tex & The Sex-O-Lettes 8-track. It's in stereo, but it sounds great when passed through a decoder. Luck of the Irish, I suppose.

Five titles show up in Quad Discographies, but to my knowledge, I've never seen a Q8 of Skin Tight or Contradiction. Granted, I've only been messing with Quad for 15 years, but in all that time, I've never seen either of those titles pop up for sale here, ebay, other websites or anything. Until I even see a picture of either of these Q8's, to me it's right up there with Canned Heat's Future Blues and Caravan's Girls who Grow Plump in the Night. Vapourware.

Correct. The only two that got legit DTS-CD releases were Fire & Honey. As a side note, Ecstacy which appeared on Westbound records, is a pretty limp mix. It's basically double stereo - dry up front, reverb in the rears.

The chances of them being Encoded CD's is slim to nil. None of these albums ever had an SQ or QS-encoded LP, so I'd highly doubt a Quad-Encoded Master tape was ever prepared. I'd call it right up there with my Disco Tex & The Sex-O-Lettes 8-track. It's in stereo, but it sounds great when passed through a decoder. Luck of the Irish, I suppose.

15 years of Quad messing is good enough for me Q-Eight! :)

seems ultimately as you say those OP Quads must have been announced but not released :(

thankfully they sound great (to me) in PLII, even though it's sheer Irish luck! :)

i still can't account for the Isley Brothers' "Live it Up" & O'Jays' "Survival" 2001 Sony remastered CDs sounding so good in PLII though, can you Q-Eight?

even though there were Quad releases of both those albums, they seem never to appear in transfers online.. for that matter, finding the Quad mixes now of any of the Isley Brothers (Heat is On, Live it Up, Harvest for the World, Go for your Guns) and/or O'Jays albums (Family Reunion, Message in the Music, Survival) is nigh-on impossible :(

Yeah, the Philly Int'l releases probably weren't set to be hugely popular. Which I find ironic due to the fact that the mixes are among the best that Columbia/Epic made. I've got a few on Q8.... Billy Paul Live, O'Jays Live, Live It Up and 3+3. I think I've got the M.F.S.B. Q8 as well. We'll get around to converting these. I dont' know how to convert myself, but I've learned how to record in 4 channels at high bitrates and I've shipped a few off to people for eventual DVD-A/V availability. But, it's a side thing you know? We can't spend 8+ hours a day just converting Quad!

Yeah, the Philly Int'l releases probably weren't set to be hugely popular. Which I find ironic due to the fact that the mixes are among the best that Columbia/Epic made. I've got a few on Q8.... Billy Paul Live, O'Jays Live, Live It Up and 3+3. I think I've got the M.F.S.B. Q8 as well. We'll get around to converting these. I dont' know how to convert myself, but I've learned how to record in 4 channels at high bitrates and I've shipped a few off to people for eventual DVD-A/V availability. But, it's a side thing you know? We can't spend 8+ hours a day just converting Quad!

I'll watch for those. Love the Philly Int'l Quads !

I have all of the Philly International quads but all are vinyl and in SQ.
They do sound real good though!
One of the oddities is Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody.
It seems there were a ton of these that said quad on the cover but contained only a stereo record.
(As evidenced by having the standard Green PI label instead of the Gold one...
I do have the Gold one but it took a few tries to get it!)

As for the Ohio Players, I've seen Fire & Honey on e-bay for silly money as CD-4s.
The DTS CDs are quite nice though, for what it's worth, as is the BTO - Not Fragile.
I'm looking for a BTO II in CD-4 (I had the 8-Track of which a certain member here was kind enough to convert for us!)

I saw Ohio Players at the Cubbie Bear across from Wrigley Field in the late '90's. They were great and had a siren and smoke during Fire.

Future Blues is NOT vaporware! I have one. I bought it new in '73 and it was already OOP. It was released in '71 and never repressed.

QuadLinda
if you actually have this tape, you are the first, and only, and the title of Goddess for Life will be bestowed upon yourself. I implore you to investigate. Plus a visit by a fellow Chicago area quadsoulmate will be in order, (friendly and smiling) if you can locate this forever never found tape! And a round of, I love you, will be sung in unison.
Future Blues is NOT vaporware! I have one. I bought it new in '73 and it was already OOP. It was released in '71 and never repressed.

Back