Panasonic RS-845US Replacement Belts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank

I have a Panasonic RS-845US that needs a new belt. Turntableneedles.com says it's .125 wide and Studio Sound says it's .18 - .235 wide. Which one is it? I have to know for sure because neither place accepts returns. (I know I could open the machine and check, but being disabled it's a bit difficult for me to do)

Also, do these belts tend to break easily when changing them? Should I order more than one?

Thank you.

You're going to have to open the machine later anyway, to install the belt.

Yep. And anyway, once you have the old belt out, you can measure it to be sure what you're buying online is the right one. I had to do that some months ago, and ordered two belts just in case, though even with an active listeners who uses their TT a lot, the belt can last a mighty long time with luck. No harm in a backup, though, same as having a few extra styli kickin' around.

Sometimes the best thing to do is simply contact someone at the site and tell them your TT model and what belt they have that will work for it. That way, if they do reply and they're wrong, they'll be hard pressed to say 'no return,' since they recommended it.

ED :)

If the belt is stretched or broken, it will need to be replaced. If it is SLIGHTLY dry and slipping, it can be reconstituted with a water based lubricant. Vaseline EATS RUBBER, so you can't use that.

Many years ago, my then spouse and I had a doctor visit. Doc knew that I was knowledgeable and in the business. He loved classical. He said, the belt on my Yamaha TT keeps slipping off. I asked him if he had any K-Y. My spouse almost died! Doc took me in his office. I removed the belt, rubbed both sides with K-Y, wiped off the excess, and, voila! The TT worked fine again. One good turn deserves another, and he informed me that the office call was free.

This may not work with an ancient worn belt, although it may be worth a try.

Also, do these belts tend to break easily when changing them? Should I order more than one?

You didn't say if your belt was broken or not; could have just slipped off (though breaking is more likely). As Linda noted, if it isn't broken but old and worn, the K-Y might help it along, might not. But as we said before, no matter what, you or someone's gonna have to open 'er up and check it out.

ED :)

Some belts turn to goo over time, so I'd open it up as soon as possible before it migrates and gets harder to clean. That's if it is goo. I'd guess .18 - .235 is closer to a typical 8tr belt, 1/4" seems too small for the torque needed. The width is going to be somewhere around 10% less than the space between the flanges on the drive pulley found on the motor shaft. As long is it is narrow enough to fit without hitting the edges of the pulley when running, it's OK, too narrow and it might slip on startup and have more flutter.
The length is just as important, too big will slip, too small will cause speed to drag and premature bearing wear on the motor and flywheel. Did both sites list the same length but different widths?
There was/is a cross reference by model published by PRB, but this model isn't listed.
The next best option is to measure the old one.
The two sites have a different dimension listed, not knowing anything else about them, if one is not quite right, maybe both are. I'd measure it myself or have someone I trust do it.
I can't seem to find a service manual for this model, but if it has an original Panasonic part number, the PRB cross reference might list it.
Also, not to doubt anybody's troubleshooting, but are you sure it needs a belt? what's the symptom?
hope this helps
-j.

Here is a picture of the belt from another thread:

attachment.php

Some belts turn to goo over time, so I'd open it up as soon as possible before it migrates and gets harder to clean. That's if it is goo. I'd guess .18 - .235 is closer to a typical 8tr belt, 1/4" seems too small for the torque needed. The width is going to be somewhere around 10% less than the space between the flanges on the drive pulley found on the motor shaft. As long is it is narrow enough to fit without hitting the edges of the pulley when running, it's OK, too narrow and it might slip on startup and have more flutter.
The length is just as important, too big will slip, too small will cause speed to drag and premature bearing wear on the motor and flywheel. Did both sites list the same length but different widths?
There was/is a cross reference by model published by PRB, but this model isn't listed.
The next best option is to measure the old one.
The two sites have a different dimension listed, not knowing anything else about them, if one is not quite right, maybe both are. I'd measure it myself or have someone I trust do it.
I can't seem to find a service manual for this model, but if it has an original Panasonic part number, the PRB cross reference might list it.
Also, not to doubt anybody's troubleshooting, but are you sure it needs a belt? what's the symptom?
hope this helps
-j.

There is flutter - it's not too bad, but with my finicky ears it's driving me nuts! The motor is strong and the sound is good for a Panasonic. I also appreciate the fact that the rear speakers still play when a 2 channel stereo tape is inserted. Now, looking at the above picture, what needs to be removed to free the belt? Is it a big deal? I say this because I do not see very well and right now my hands operate as if I were on the moon with astronaut gloves - and everyone else in my home is technically challenged (except for maybe our Siamese cat).

Thank you all for your help and your patience.

There are two screws that hold that flat bar over the capstan. Remove that bar and you can easily replace the belt. When you put the screws back in place, dab a bit of fingernail polish on the base of each screw. It will harden to keep the screws from coming loose, but can be easily broken if you have to get the screws out. It doesn't matter what shade you use, I buy what is on sale at the drug store on the clearance cart. They might look at you funny, but be strong.

I buy my tape deck and turntable belts from this guy ... http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/panasonickits.html

Back