Fault in 5.1 layer of Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Steven Stills - SUPERSESSION SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI

Based on my wave form analysis of the DSD2PCM conversion of Thriller the DSD stream has ≥ +6dB (SACD) glitches at the following positions:

13:07 (R)
13:09 (R)
22:47 (2, L, R)
24:04 (L)
24:24 (4, L, R)
24:26 (3, L, R) - see picture below
24:27 (2, L, R)
24:28 (7, L, R)
24:29 (R)
24:31 (L)
24:32 (2, L, R)
24:35 (R)
24:36 (L, R)
24:38 (L)
24:39 (R)
24:40 (L)
24:42 (3, L, R)

Thriller_glitches.jpg

I've played my copy #4188 a couple times now, no problems.
Oppo 83 -> dsd over hdmi -> Onkyo NR906 receiver.

vinylguy4

Well glitches or no glitches I am finally going for this title after I found a $25 Best Buy Reward Zone certificate sitting in my inbox! :) :banana:

(Yes, BB are selling this title online. Crazy isn't it?) ;)

I don't hear any errors playing the DSD track (don't think I have another option) on my Sony Blu-ray player. My disc number is 3806.

I don't hear any errors playing the DSD track (don't think I have another option) on my Sony Blu-ray player. My disc number is 3806.

Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colorado tested the Super Session SACD on a Sony SACD player and had similar results - no problems.
Sony appears to be one of the companies with equipment that has no SACD/DSD problems via HDMI.

I think this is one of those cases where a seemingly tight specification is interpreted in different ways, in this case over what happens with peaks at the 'limit' of the DSD specs (re: my Pioneer Amp/Denon Player failing, and yet the disc playing perfectly on Sony equipment). I've seen it happen in my professional career, where two teams within the same company working on opposite ends of the same specification, 'decode' it slightly differently, end result a tiny bit of chaos! Its much the same where people have found DVD-A/BluRay-A playback & menu issues with various players. Its also one of the great things about this forum, in that people then go looking for a solution to help out.

Thanks to this thread, I have solved my issue by forcing my Denon to output PCM over HDMI when playing SACDs.

I listened to and analyzed my copy (No. 4155). During the DSD2PCM conversion my Onkyo receiver has a playback issue at track 7, too. The multichannel tracks of this album were mastered hot with the maximum peak level of +3.79 dB SACD at track 7. This is out of spec but not so unusual even for recent mch SACD's. I didn't see glitches in the waveform of my DSD2PCM conversion of mch track 7. The album has great dynamics (DR stereo/mch: 12/13).

I listened to and analyzed my copy (No. 4155). During the DSD2PCM conversion my Onkyo receiver has a playback issue at track 7, too. The multichannel tracks of this album were mastered hot with the maximum peak level of +3.79 dB SACD at track 7. This is out of spec but not so unusual even for recent mch SACD's. I didn't see glitches in the waveform of my DSD2PCM conversion of mch track 7. The album has great dynamics (DR stereo/mch: 12/13).

As noted earlier in the thread, the SACD was examined by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center and while cut hot, the SACD is not out of spec. But the ability to play it back correctly in DSD is a function of your audio equipment. Sony's audio products, perhaps not surprisingly, handle it fine.

As noted earlier in the thread, the SACD was examined by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center and while cut hot, the SACD is not out of spec. But the ability to play it back correctly in DSD is a function of your audio equipment. Sony's audio products, perhaps not surprisingly, handle it fine.

I'd be sorry and sad if my receiver imperfectly performed on an SACD manufactured according to specifications. I haven't noticed that yet, albeit this disc might be the first exception. Nevertheless, I really enjoy this album and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

So which is it? Does it peak at +3.79 db as grill said, or is is in spec (max peak +3.1db) as Gus says?

So which is it? Does it peak at +3.79 db as grill said, or is is in spec (max peak +3.1db) as Gus says?

Not sure exactly what Gus Skinas examined, but maybe it was the stereo layer @ +3.1dB, whereas grill has reported on the Mch layer @ +3.79dB?

To get their measurements, Gus used a voltmeter and grill used software during a DSD2PCM conversion, so that might account for the different readings.

Back