String Quartets in Quad? (or 5.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Are there any quad (or 5.1) recordings of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik that place each instrument in a separate speaker?

Though brought up on it, I'm haven't been a big classical listener.
Some good MC recommendations could change that.

TC

eggplant said:
Are there any quad (or 5.1) recordings of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik that place each instrument in a separate speaker?

Though brought up on it, I'm haven't been a big classical listener.
Some good MC recommendations could change that.

TC
Hello,

I wasn't brought up on it but my wife was so I do my best to get into for her sake.

With that said, a couple of titles that I like are the LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet) album "Latin", and a release on the Tacet label by Camerata Freden doing Franz Schubert's "Octet in F major D 803-op. posth. 166. (see attachment below from the liner notes)

You might also want to look through this thread for some suggestions.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5477

Attachments

• tacet 1.jpg
    tacet 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
eggplant said:

You don't have enough channels! Try the TaceT and MDG labels for such recordings.

Kal

The only string quartet in quad that I can think of is by Elliot Carter. Be prepared for some dissonance.

Vivaldi - The Seasons conducted by Zuckermann I think fits the bill. It's an SQ lp with pretty fine discrete placement of the strings. Also the SQ quad of Carl Orff - Carmina Burana, while not a string quartet, is mighty dynamic.

I thought "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" was an orchestral work, not just a string quartet. I do have a nice SQ recording on the Eurodisc label, which I picked up in Germany. It sure beat the heck out of an old Remington 10" mono LP I had
as a kid.

I thought "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" was an orchestral work, not just a string quartet. I do have a nice SQ recording on the Eurodisc label, which I picked up in Germany. It sure beat the heck out of an old Remington 10" mono LP I had
as a kid.
It's closer to a string quartet than Vivaldi's Four Seasons or Carmina Burana. :slap:

Kal

I thought "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" was an orchestral work, not just a string quartet.

It was originally written for just four parts -- 1st and 2nd violin, viola and cello.
Apparently there is an optional double bass part. Today, it is often performed with more than one player per part. (I learned it as a transcription for two pianos as a kid.) So it should work out well with one part per speaker, giving similar clarity as found in discrete four-part accapella harmony (e.g., Seven Bridges Road).

I think, that there are alltogether too less classical recordings in real quadraphonic listening division or arrangement, which mean, that the musicians are playing really around the listener - as a few quadraphonic excampels will show/sound us.
Beneth chamber and symphonic orchesters there will be especially also operas with theire often "action " and many performers, which should sound as an quadraphonic event. But unfortunately, many in the classical section will mistake surround as only spatial reverberation. A group of fans here will now make self an experiment with a string group for easy classical music in quadraphonic surround. Only as inner circle. (May be later as "official" SA-CD). Although there are a few modern recordings in real around, I self would prefered a more clearness by location of the instrument.That is often the difference between quadraphonic mixes and some of "modern" surround.

I think, that there are alltogether too less classical recordings in real quadraphonic listening division or arrangement, which mean, that the musicians are playing really around the listener - as a few quadraphonic excampels will show/sound us.
Beneth chamber and symphonic orchesters there will be especially also operas with theire often "action " and many performers, which should sound as an quadraphonic event. But unfortunately, many in the classical section will mistake surround as only spatial reverberation.
Yup and, for that, I am grateful. You can listen in any mode you like but most classical listeners are trying to hear what a real performance sounds like, not what it might sound like if you sat in the middle of the stage.

Kal

May be, that there are some , who like to believe by listening classical "Surround" music, they are sitting in the concert hall instead of stretching on the cozy easy chair at home in reality. If this sound is prefered by a personal taste, this may give satisfy for those.
On the other hand there are surround listener like me , who mean, that those "surround" will be more stereo R (+ additional Reverberation ) For me such virtual and at home non existing concert hall is a real gimmick. Even the classical orchester by recording is sitting most in another arrangement as by live playing for an audience. So I think, there should be more classical music in real surround sound. I think, surround has the possibility for new and creative expression for music art. So -why not surround for both tastes?

I am not certain I understand your arguments but I have nothing against offering another option as long as the realistic representation of a real-world event is included. It is likely that most of the classical buying market agrees with me since the original QUAD revolution failed.

Kal

Surround open (or shoud) a new dimension of artistic working. And all artistic is more than realism - in each genre: novels, paintings, movies, theater or concert. But one can not demand, that one genre must work like the other.
Thinking, that the music recording (pop or classical) must sound like live from the stage (although most are produced in studios on different days), then the movies must be produced by shooting only from stages of theaters (a crazy Star Wars in cardboard backdropes). Music is not written also from Mozart, Beethoven etc. not especially for (in these times unknown) Stereo.
And by many occasions music was playing outside concert halls etc. (Fire- and Watermusic, 1812 etc.) So we can with modern technics have arrangments of the sound more then only from a front direction. Too much purism is artistic stiffness and will hinder a real development also in the section of musical reproduction. So I think, we should have more creative surround productions - also in the classic section. Each SA-CD and DVD-Audio (or Blue Ray etc.) will have the possibility to listen further in stereo.

Of course, realism goes beyond the concert hall, as you point out. Also, anything created for the purpose is OK with me. My issue is with the distortion of traditional music by creating artificial and unrealistic perspectives.

BTW, I found many of the TaceT discs fascinating in their unique presentations but, at the end, I don't listen to any of them much.

Kal

Personally I think a string quartet (or any quartet or even better actually a quintet) would be perfect for surround sound. One instrument being in each speaker. I would like to see more of these. Talk about an enveloping experience! Mere stereo with reverb in the backs cannot achieve this. Maybe it is more of a live experience but it is too "flat".

Personally I think a string quartet (or any quartet or even better actually a quintet) would be perfect for surround sound. One instrument being in each speaker. I would like to see more of these. Talk about an enveloping experience! Mere stereo with reverb in the backs cannot achieve this. Maybe it is more of a live experience but it is too "flat".
To each his own, I guess, but I think that's why the first quad revolution failed. (Of course, you cannot tell that from what goes on around here.)

Kal

And I think, one of the reasons, why quadraphony was failed, was not to listen real discrete sound from each speaker, but by many matrix software and decoders in the early years too less.

Back