(1973-06) Billboard mag - Dual Inventory - Stereo - Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That article points out an interesting problem. Single inventory quad being placed in the Quadraphonic section. I both loved and hated the separate quad section. On the one hand I would continuously check it out and even buy a few records that I wouldn't have bothered with if they had been only in stereo. On the other hand compatible quad releases weren't getting into the hands of stereo people, greatly reducing sales! An especially huge problem if the recording was single inventory!

It always really irked me when a clerk would ask, do you know that album is Quad? What! People are supposed to only buy stereo?

Yes, in my area, Musicland, Record Bar, Disc Records and independent record stores (early to mid 1970s) had a separate Quad disc section (the Sycamore Mall Team Electronics store only had Quad albums though :) )

IMHO, CBS, RCA and the WEA group should have sent a form letter (on their letterhead) to most record stores explaining that the goal was to convert to Quad and ultimately discontinue Stereo albums and please put the Quad albums in the artist bins rather than a special Quad bin.

Perhaps Billboard could have printed a "New Quad Albums This Month" page which could be posted monthly in the record stores to help in finding new Quad albums.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back