1st Country Album - What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
What;s your first Country (and/or western) or Bluegrass album? Please list 5.1/Quad/Stereo/Mono, format LP/Q4/Q8/SACD/DTS/DVD-A/8 tk/Cass/4 tk (NOT Quad)/2 ch Reel/Playtape/Tefi, etc. The year and place of purchase are optional. Here's mine:

Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds 1968 Stereo LP purchased at Korvettes. If this isn't their best album, the previous Notorious Byrd Brothers is. That record was transitional. When I heard this album at first, I thought, "what is this crap?" I was profoundly disappointed. After a few listens, I had an epiphany. Just like Pet Sounds, Rodeo was largely overlooked in it's day. it's classic and Rolling Stone rated this #67 in their 500 best! It lead the way for CSN (&Y), Eagles and so much more. Truly groundbreaking!!

Byrds+-+Sweetheart+Of+The+Rodeo.jpg

For those who feel that Rodeo isn't truly a country album, here's my next country purchase: World of Flatt & Scruggs 2 Stereo LP's. 1973 at Rose Records. A best of collection with many bluegrass gems. Earl was one of the best banjo pickers ever. After leaving Bill Monroe, these guys eschewed the bluegrass label, but that's what this is. It's the best example of it.

flattworld.jpg

That Outlaws compiliation on RCA. Waylon, Jessie, Willie, Tompall. Missed out on the original release CD. Still looking for it.

It would have to be Johnny Cash but I'd be guessing as to which one...possible San Quentin.

It was either Hank Williams III's Lovesick Broke & Driftin' or Ween's 12 Golden Country Hits. Hank III proves that talent skips a generation. He's way more like his grandfather than his father. Ween isn't even a country band, but they put out one great country album, with perhaps the greatest country song ever written "Piss Up a Rope." I'm not a huge country fan, but I love both of these albums.

51Rtvkg-LPL.jpg

41NB4FPQ0RL.jpg

Back