32-bit vs 24-bit audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
This is not really a multi-channel recording question, but this seems like a good forum to post this question. I am recording audio in Adobe Audition 3.01. The only recording options are 16-bit and 32-bit. My client wants 24-bit .wav files. Should I deliver the 32-bit files? Or should I save the file as a "24-bit packed int" file. What does that even mean? And what is lost in the conversion?

Audacity seems to have the same file type and "save as" options.

Thanks in advance for any info.

J. D.

This is not really a multi-channel recording question, but this seems like a good forum to post this question. I am recording audio in Adobe Audition 3.01. The only recording options are 16-bit and 32-bit. My client wants 24-bit .wav files. Should I deliver the 32-bit files? Or should I save the file as a "24-bit packed int" file. What does that even mean? And what is lost in the conversion?

Audacity seems to have the same file type and "save as" options.

Thanks in advance for any info.

J. D.
Good question JD & also glad to see someone besides me still appreciates AA3.
Record in 32 bit. Hit select all & save selection as 24 bit. It only offers 16/32 in drop down menu. Manually enter in 24 bit & there ya go.

1609376483767.png

Last edited:
Wow, that dialog still looks identical to the original Cool Edit Pro, which I'm still plugging away on (along with Audacity).
Yeah I go back to Cool Edit, Cool Edit Pro, I think there was a Cool Edit 2000 in there, and then the Adobe versions. There's lots of ways to customize the GUI but basic works just fine. I gravitated to Cool Edit as it was one of the first to do multi-track. I used it transfer my Moody Blues R2R quad tapes to dts CD way back when. I will keep using it until some kinda Windows update breaks it & then I'll probably go with Reaper. I know Audacity is popular here but I think it's open source volunteer effort pales in comparison to professionally designed products. And of course it's not just the quality of the app; it's knowing how to use it so well it's 2nd nature just click click click.

I think there was a Cool Edit 2000 in there

There was!

I know Audacity is popular here but I think it's open source volunteer effort pales in comparison to professionally designed products. And of course it's not just the quality of the app; it's knowing how to use it so well it's 2nd nature just click click click.

Yeah, I've attempted to work with Audacity on multiple occasions but it looks enough like AA that I can't wrap my tiny little mind around its differences. So I wind up frustrated and confused.

Lately I've been digitizing a lot of 78s and have actually "edited" via commandline SoX more than anything else. Masochism?

Back