5.1 Titles at HDTracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a potential major development to me, compared to the streaming quality from Apple. But you'll pay more for it.
Now if they can just carry more than just Classical...
5.1 HDT.JPG

When I go to the Hi-Res 5.1 Surround Sound category, it indicates there are 158 titles, but I can't figure out how to get it to show more than "New Releases". Most of what I can see doesn't really interest me.

I got an email this morning with this (and a "HOLIDAY20" discount code):
1639757082459.png

Definitely classical so far. And the thing is, the titles on the BIS label are cheaper at BIS's own service, eClassical.com--and the titles on Sono Luminus & 2L are missing the other options (7.1, Atmos, etc.) that they would normally include on the optical disc versions. So...encouraging development, but not all that attractive so far.

HDtracks is, to me, an outdated service. Their websiteā€”even the updated oneā€”sucks, and their prices are nearly universally higher than other retailers. They do seem to carry some exclusive titles, but aside from those, I just don't bother with HDtracks anymore. I've moved onto Qobuz for lossless stereo downloads. I can only assume it will be just a matter of time before they start offering surround, too.

Same thoughts here JJ; plus I like Qobuzā€™ search, selection, downloading ease and speed & purchasing better. HDtracks were short and rude to me when inquiring about why the QS encoded Black Jazz titles they had listed werenā€™t actually available to purchase. I get the feeling of ā€œWelcome to the Machineā€ from their site!
So now I always look to Qobuz first for a title.

Manty of the newer remastered selections from HDTracks now seem to be brickwall limited like the CD releases. No point in purchasing from them anymore, it's too much of a crap shoot. And I do mean CRAP!

It' much less likely that the new 5.1 releases (being classical) will be brickwalled, but I wish HDTracks would just list the DR value of each release.

Manty of the newer remastered selections from HDTracks now seem to be brickwall limited like the CD releases. No point in purchasing from them anymore, it's too much of a crap shoot. And I do mean CRAP!
This is true of any hi-res retailer. Your best hope is that someone took the plunge already, measured, and uploaded to the Dynamic Range DB.

Unbelievable, there are some listings there with values of only 1 or 2! IMHO a rating of 7 still sounds terrible.

Vinyl rips tend to score a bit higher than digital sources but not by much. If a good quality, good condition record is recorded and the clicks properly removed the ratings are very close between vinyl and the quality digital source, identical ratings or perhaps ratings differing by a maximum of 2. Obviously a scratchy record would falsely give a much too high reading. I've been checking my vinyl rips out of curiosity and also to use as sort of a benchmark on which to compare digital releases.

I have a few modern 180gm vinyl releases that don't seem to sound as good as the original release. I'm curious to compare the DR value of both. Vinyl made from a brickwalled digital source would be a complete waste of time and money!

When they first came out with CD's we were promised much greater dynamic range than we had with vinyl. Sadly that that promise never materialised!

HDtracks is, to me, an outdated service. Their websiteā€”even the updated oneā€”sucks, and their prices are nearly universally higher than other retailers. They do seem to carry some exclusive titles, but aside from those, I just don't bother with HDtracks anymore. I've moved onto Qobuz for lossless stereo downloads. I can only assume it will be just a matter of time before they start offering surround, too.
Agreed! Cool to see this, but HDtracks should have done this 10 years ago. Qobuz is an awesome service, but they are taking far too long to include 5.1/immersive and I fear they will be left behind in the dust as Apple and Tidal, (and Amazon to a degree), command the high res market now.

Interesting. I've found the opposite! I'm not trying to convince anyone either way cos the experience is no doubt different depending on where you're purchasing from but for people down the bottom of the planet like moi, HD Tracks has been very handy for me:

1. Since they "opened up" to purchases from NZ a few years ago, I've updated a bunch of my CD rips to 24-bit and have mostly been happy with the sound of the new files.
2. Yeah, website's a bit buggy but F5 when a page won't flippin' well load tends to sort it out.
3. Prices are usually high but at the end of each month when discount codes are sent makes downloads less than the price of the CD back in the day. Qobuz prices when purchasing from NZ are ridiculously high, even when they offer discounts.
4. Glad to see 5.1 mixes finally being offered. 2L releases might be cheaper directly from their store though so make sure you check this out: All releases

In addition to HDTracks and Qobuz we also have Prostudiomasters. When I was unable to purchase some selections from HDTracks because they weren't allowed to sell those to Canada someone here recommended Prostudiomasters, sure enough the titles that I wanted were available there.

The problem is knowing what downloads are good and which ones are compressed (brickwalled). Doesn't look like anyone is listing the DR value!:(

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/
https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/shop

Agreed! Cool to see this, but HDtracks should have done this 10 years ago. Qobuz is an awesome service, but they are taking far too long to include 5.1/immersive and I fear they will be left behind in the dust as Apple and Tidal, (and Amazon to a degree), command the high res market now.
Agreed, but almost all the 5.1 downloads in HDTracks are available from the far superior eclassical.com website (as most are BIS albums), as noted above. John

Saw that email too. I know the Zappa mention in the same was about the 200 Motels reissue but I'm hoping this is one step closer to the Zappa surround titles finally getting the official HD reissue!

HDTracks are notorious for lack of providence and far too many crudely mastered novelty releases that would make releasing in 8 bit resolution a moot point.

Positive email to see none the less! :)

Agreed, but almost all the 5.1 downloads in HDTracks are available from the far superior eclassical.com website (as most are BIS albums), as noted above. John

Same is true for 2L stuff, 2L offer 5.1 FLAC with Auro Native which is my favoured format.

Back