AI-generated "customer" comments on Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it turns out that they are.

Possibly, Amazon should review their AI process so as to exclude specific mentions of other brands, just keep the receiver recommendations vague (perhaps only related to the power output).

Kirk Bayne

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-PSW108-Loudspeaker-Renewed/dp/B006HCQZDQ?th=1

Kinda odd to sort of imply that a Marantz receiver is needed with this subwoofer.

Kirk Bayne
That's a summary that Amazon's AI generates based on keywords from the reviews, it's likely not doing anything abnormal nor does that necessarily mean the reviews have been padded with 'friendly' brands. In this specific case, the sub has been around a long time. Long before AI and even predates some of the fake-review era on Amazon.

If there's better examples of this being an actual issue for Amazon, this wouldn't be the one to use IMO.

polk-psw108.jpg

I check the Amazon reviews for durability info (seems like many of the low priced region free [and convert PAL to NTSC] DVD players fail after a short time).

I find the % ratings to be the most useful, I bought my newest receiver from Amazon (checked the owners manual to see if it would decode MCH DSD via HDMI), not many customers require this functionality, I don't recall any Amazon reviews mentioning it.

I buy my home audio/video equipment from Best Buy (mostly), Amazon (sometimes), Walmart (lots of TVs, DVD players, VCRs + 2 receivers[~35 years ago]), the Amazon AI created customer review summary is of minimal value to me (kinda interesting to see Amazon use AI for this purpose though).

Kirk Bayne

Latest posts

Back