Apple 4K with DirecTV app.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Instead of scouring pages I thought I would get to the point.
I ditched my DirecTV box that was in my media room, still have it in other 2 rooms.
I am now using the DirecTV app under my account, via the Apple 4K app.
Everything works, except the 4K available channels. There are 3 dedicated 4K channels, 104,105,106.
When I select the free 4K channel 104, I get message "It looks like your device supports 4K, but it isn't enabled."
I tried settings in the DirecTV app and I tried settings in the Apple4K settings, no luck.
I probably have to call customer service as it looks like the DirecTV app is only acknowledging the Family Room receiver.
Any tips?

In ATV settings, 4K HDR must be on, as well as "match frame rate" and "match content". Tried that and still nothing? Could be a not up-to-par HDMI cable(s). If you are passing through an AVR, there could be a setting in there. For instance, Denon has a setting called "4K Signal Format", I would imagine other AVR's have a similar setting which is basically 8bit vs 10bit color. I would recommend just temporarily bypassing the AVR to test this.

Thank you so much Pat, your answer was one of those, I can't say how I did it, but your answer paved the way, got it done.
I have 4 pictures, first I went into the AVR, nothing gained, nothing lost.
Pictures 1 & 2 are Setting AVR.
Pictures 3 & 4 is where the answer lied. I switched the source to HDMI 4, it was defaulted to my old DirecTV HDMI 1.
Then I switched the HDMI 4 from standard to Enhanced, bang, problem solved.
My remote is working a little slow and wonky, lots of changes lately so probably due for a tech visit, I have the Mx-990 Universal Remote.
Thanks again for helping me.
IMG_5075 (1).jpg

IMG_5076 (1).jpg

IMG_5077 (1).jpg

IMG_5078 (1).jpg

@pat bateman , Pat, maybe you can help me a little further as I make progress.

I think I have what I want figured out but if anyone has done what I am about to do, please offer me some feedback.

1. The app works very well, except the DVR and record functions, does not work as good as the DirecTV home genie network does.
2. On the streaming app, I can go to programs in advance, hold and press record, and get a pop up verifying a record. Unlike the DirecTV from the dish I cannot see future records.
I read in order to see on the app, just use Bookmark, but I cannot seem to get it.
Good news, I went downstairs and opened the kitchen TV with the DirecTV Dish and it shows that the programs I pre recorded on the app, show up on that TV, so that tells me the app is working.
Finally when on app, and I want to delete shows previously recorded in MY LIST, I can't seem to figure out how to delete.
2. I have read that the DirecTV Dish and the DirecTV Streaming are actually two different companies controlled by AT&T, so it can be very confusing when you first dive in.
3. I plan on removing my dish on roof, calling AT&T cancelling my subscription and return what equipment is returnable.
4. Install Apple 4K boxes to the two remaining TV's and go 100% to DirecTV Streaming app.

I think I have it figured out, but sure would like to hear from others that have actually done it.

Yes DirecTV Stream looks stunning on ATV. Its SOOO much better then thier set top box..

The "It looks like your device supports 4K, but it isn't enabled." is some kind of new issue. The 4K channels were not there until recently. Does ANYONE have these working ? If so what is your gear, layout and settings. I have a number of clients with my ATVX and they all see the same issue. I have one that will hook it right to a Sony A90J and see if it will play.

Side note, I don't recommend HDR or Dolby Vision, I have a paper on why. https://www.appletvx.com/HDR.pdf

Yes DirecTV Stream looks stunning on ATV. Its SOOO much better then thier set top box..

The "It looks like your device supports 4K, but it isn't enabled." is some kind of new issue. The 4K channels were not there until recently. Does ANYONE have these working ? If so what is your gear, layout and settings. I have a number of clients with my ATVX and they all see the same issue. I have one that will hook it right to a Sony A90J and see if it will play.

Side note, I don't recommend HDR or Dolby Vision, I have a paper on why. https://www.appletvx.com/HDR.pdf
If you like at my Post #3 it shows a picture of how to enable the 4 channels of DirecTV 4K. Before I did that I had no 4K channels on DirecTV.

Now the last thing I am trying to figure out with DirecTV Streaming:
I know how to record, hit button and it is an option, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete a recording.
The DirecTV Streaming does say that all recorded video, that is in your library will self delete after 90 days, but when your OCD like me, I hate clutter.
I have watched a bunch of YouTube about DirecTV streaming, and DirecTV are two different companies but both under AT&T, very weird, but they will keep improving it, I am positive of that.

DirecTV dish service, the whole record, delete, shows icon of recorded shows coming up, so much better than DirecTV Streaming.

If you like at my Post #3 it shows a picture of how to enable the 4 channels of DirecTV 4K. Before I did that I had no 4K channels on DirecTV.

I know how to record, hit button and it is an option, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete a recording.
The DirecTV Streaming does say that all recorded video, that is in your library will self delete after 90 days, but when your OCD like me, I hate clutter.
I have watched a bunch of YouTube about DirecTV streaming, and DirecTV are two different companies but both under AT&T, very weird, but they will keep improving it, I am positive of that.

DirecTV dish service, the whole record, delete, shows icon of recorded shows coming up, so much better than DirecTV Streaming.
If it's anything like YouTube TV, the "DVR" is not really a DVR at all. I could be wrong, but doubt it's actually recording anything. I think it's actually flagging a program that's already on a server or being recorded to a server. Rather than thousands of users recording the program to a "cloud DVR," they are all being given access to it for an amount of time. That's why there's no deleting anything.

If it's anything like YouTube TV, the "DVR" is not really a DVR at all. I could be wrong, but doubt it's actually recording anything. I think it's actually flagging a program that's already on a server or being recorded to a server. Rather than thousands of users recording the program to a "cloud DVR," they are all being given access to it for an amount of time. That's why there's no deleting anything.
I think your right. As it is an app it can't be a DVR.
I still have DirecTV dish with DVR, etc on two of my three TV's.
Now that I am using both versions definitely the dish, hard players is better but at what cost and clutter.
My goal probably within the next 30 days is to have all three TV's in my house be DirecTV streaming only. Remove dish and all cables.

Regarding deleting saved recordings DVR, you can delete with DirecTV dish but not streaming.
But for now if I delete from one of my Dish DVR's the recordings will delete from my streaming app.

When I pull up a show to watch, there is an option right below the watch now button is one for "delete recording". Or if you find the tab for displaying all dvr recordings, next to the show you want to remove should be a trash icon. Another alternative is to pause the show and go to the info button which brings up another screen with a delete option. I'm saying all of this, but my app just updated in the last couple days and could be different, but I never found it that hard to delete a show with the app. Now YouTube tv, on the other hand, has no way of deleting a single episode of a show you're recording, and that with a lot of other little quirks kept me from switching to their service.

When I pull up a show to watch, there is an option right below the watch now button is one for "delete recording". Or if you find the tab for displaying all dvr recordings, next to the show you want to remove should be a trash icon. Another alternative is to pause the show and go to the info button which brings up another screen with a delete option. I'm saying all of this, but my app just updated in the last couple days and could be different, but I never found it that hard to delete a show with the app. Now YouTube tv, on the other hand, has no way of deleting a single episode of a show you're recording, and that with a lot of other little quirks kept me from switching to their service.
Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Back