Article: PINK FLOYD: New Immersion Box Sets w/5.1 Announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I am so up for all of these.
This really is a no brain deal - it will be very interesting to hear their new version of the AP Quad too - I wonder if it has been "Mew-tilated" by bad mastering?
I really hope not.......

Oh, I am so up for all of these.
This really is a no brain deal - it will be very interesting to hear their new version of the AP Quad too - I wonder if it has been "Mew-tilated" by bad mastering?
I really hope not.......

Who is getting these? Any news on if it is original mastering or remixed?

But of course the surround discs are only in the most expensive versions :(
I hope for a stand alone version of the 5.1 Wish You Were here.

But of course the surround discs are only in the most expensive versions :(
I hope for a stand alone version of the 5.1 Wish You Were here.

There will be one. From the brain-damage site;

WISH YOU WERE HERE - SACD
For those who have been, for a few years now, eagerly awaiting the SACD of Wish You Were Here, we have the excellent news for you that it is indeed on its way! The 5.1 SACD will be released by Acoustic Sounds, with the mix done by James Guthrie, and produced by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center. We will hopefully have the release date along with ordering information for you shortly.

>Who is getting these?

I am, I just pre-ordered DSOTM & WYWH Immersion Boxsets via Amazon yesterday.

I'm still not sure about ordering 'The Wall' Immersion Boxset. It does not contain any Hi-Rez Multi-Channel formats that I could see, just the following:

CDs 1&2
The Wall digitally remastered by James Guthrie, 2011
CDs 3&4
The Wall album demos (previously unreleased)
CDs 5&6
Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (digitally remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

DISC 7 - DVD, AUDIO VISUAL
Another Brick In The Wall pt2 promotional video – restored in 2011
Behind The Wall documentary
Gerald Scarfe Interview
Short filmed extract of Earls Court concert featuring animation

I've just pre ordered all 3 for the eye watering total of £278.97 (US$450.93)
If "The Wall" has no 5.1, then I will cancel that one as I am not paying almost £100 for stuff I already have or do not care about (I have the demos - the bootlegs have been circulating for years now).
Here's hoping tthat we will have 5.1 of The Wall....there ought to be!

this is awesome news im also pre ordering TDSOTM & WYWH
now if only jimmy page would start releasing Led Zeppelin albums in 5.1

now if only jimmy page would start releasing Led Zeppelin albums in 5.1

I was just thinking that a couple days ago. Certainly a missed opportunity if they don't. How about more of The Who catalog in 5.1? I always thought it was just wrong that an album entitled "Quadrophenia" was never released in Quad!

BTW, welcome to QQ!

I was just thinking that a couple days ago. Certainly a missed opportunity if they don't. How about more of The Who catalog in 5.1? I always thought it was just wrong that an album entitled "Quadrophenia" was never released in Quad!

BTW, welcome to QQ!

exactly my thoughts one of the albums that should be in quad or 5.1 The Who's Quadrophenia we should start a petition , it seemed to work for PF WYWH.
because now there releasing it in 5.1 & Quad so...
we need some official releases of Zeppelin in Quad or SS.
thanks for the welcome mat :D

What about stereo mixes in SACD or hopefully BluRay... For those of us who still prefer the good old stereo mixes, but would spend $500 for a hi-res version of our favorite albums of all times. Do the 5.1 mixes mentioned here include a stereo layer?

BTW, welcome to QQ!

I thought I read somewhere that it was originally conceived to be in Quad and there was a mix or most of it mixed this way, including a passage that put all 4 channels into mono, then back to Quad, but for some reason it did not get released. Is this right?

Tommy, the movie did get the Quad treatment and I thought Peter Townsend was Quadraphonic friendly, although we did not get enough Quad stuff from The Who as what should have been in the 1970s.

I thought I read somewhere that it was originally conceived to be in Quad and there was a mix or most of it mixed this way, including a passage that put all 4 channels into mono, then back to Quad, but for some reason it did not get released. Is this right?

This is the way I understand it too. From what I remember, it wasn't released because Townshend was unhappy with the results of the matrix version of the 4-channel mix he auditioned (unfortunately, Tate decoders were not available back then). So as best as I can gather, a quad mix of the whole album is collecting dust in a vault somewhere.

Back to Pink Floyd: Bring on the Animals quad mix!

This is the way I understand it too. From what I remember, it wasn't released because Townshend was unhappy with the results of the matrix version of the 4-channel mix he auditioned (unfortunately, Tate decoders were not available back then). So as best as I can gather, a quad mix of the whole album is collecting dust in a vault somewhere.

Back to Pink Floyd: Bring on the Animals quad mix!

And sadly, the signal cancellation-based CBS SQ Paramatrix decoder prototypes were not yet available then either. Even at the highest, laboratory-levels of decoding quality, the very best SQ decoders were the awful Gain-riding/power-transfer "Full Wave-matching" logic with a signal adaptive variable-blend across the 2 rear channels to eliminate the Center Front vocals from the rears, which had, essentially, 0-db front-to-back separation in a basic SQ matrix decoder. (no Full-Logic SQ decoder with CBS Vari-Blend ever used the Variable-Blend on the front channels, even though CBS always showed just such a front variable blend when talking about SQ logic decoding. The Front-Back Gain-Riding Logic DID try to keep the Center Back - if a CB was encoded - from the front channels, but it didn't work too well)

Way too much cd only stereo or lossy only 5.1 material on these sets which should have additionally gone on the blu-ray in high res or lossless format.

Very disappointed.

Last edited:
Can someone please confirm if the Blu Ray will be "Universal" Zoned. ie A, B & C.
I assume this because the pre-order looks the same on both Amazon UK and Amazon.com

The DVD-A (Disc4 ..is aDVD-A ...right????) doesn't matter. It will be Universal anyway correct?

Content on the DVD "A/V" (Disc 4) is replicated anyway on the Blu Ray, so it doesn't matter which Zone it is...that is as long as the Blu Ray is Universal...

Could the Quad boffins help me out here. I've just pre-ordered. I simple couldn't help myself :rolleyes:

Thanks

Wap

The DVD-A (Disc4 ..is aDVD-A ...right????) doesn't matter.
I'm afraid not. From the descriptions it is clearly a DVD-V with Dolby Digital in 448 and 640 kps bit rates for the surround parts and PCM for the stereo parts.
That is of course even more "universal", but the BD (Blu-ray Disc) will have the edge in sound quality.

Back