• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bench Oscilloscope Suggestions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB-V

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I did search a bit for some possible discussions regarding bench oscilloscopes...but did not find much.

Looking for any recommendations for a bench scope. I plan to use it for basic troubleshooting of my vintage gear. I do not have plans for developing complex circuits and testing them. Just want to check components for operation against specs and locate noise, etc.

It's been many years from my college lab circuit courses, and I do not recall what functions would be applicable to my needs
and there are a great deal of options available at corresponding price points.

Suggestions / comments would be most welcome!!

Nobody ever got fired for buying a Tektronix oscilloscope. The same is true for Hewlett Packard although they are better known for other instruments.
I like the Tek 4xx series and personally have a 485 that came my way recently from an older engineer who didn't really want to start messing with ebay.
I also bought a Fluke portable from him Both are good for 100 mHz.

Prior to that I had (and still have) several BK Precision ranging from 20 mHz which is generally fast enough for audio use up to 100 mHz. These came my way in the 1990s. They still work perfectly. All the above are easy to find. I sometimes see Teks on FB marketplace from when gramps croaked for $20 or $50.

Probes can be had cheeply from China inc. I myself prefer analog scopes to digital ones but that is a personal preference. Many digitals can do all sorts of signal analysis but they usually don't have deep enough A/D converters to do real distortion and spectrum analysis. (12 or `14 bit fast converters) The digitals may take up way less space if they are non CRT which many are.

Last edited:
Analog or Digital?
Frequency/Bandwidth?
Channels?
Used vintage boat anchor?
OR new, lighter, smaller, cheap as used, made in Shenzhen shipped direct from the PRC?

Finally, consider it's resale value. Will you be able to easily sell it?

Last edited:
Nobody ever got fired for buying a Tektronix oscilloscope. The same is true for Hewlett Packard although they are better known for other instruments.
I like the Tek 4xx series and personally have a 485 that came my way recently from an older engineer who didn't really want to start messing with ebay.
I also bought a Fluke portable from him Both are good for 100 mHz.

Prior to that I had (and still have) several BK Precision ranging from 20 mHz which is generally fast enough for audio use up to 100 mHz. These came my way in the 1990s. They still work perfectly. All the above are easy to find. I sometimes see Teks on FB marketplace from when gramps croaked for $20 or $50.

Probes can be had cheeply from China inc. I myself prefer analog scopes to digital ones but that is a personal preference. Many digitals can do all sorts of signal analysis but they usually don't have deep enough A/D converters to do real distortion and spectrum analysis. (12 or `4 bit fast converters) The digitals may take up way less space if they are non CRT which many are.

Thank you for the help!

It has been many years, but I used to sit 8 hours a day with a Tektronix scope. I don't recall the model now but it got the job done. The company had some HP's I believe but I was happy with the Tek.
All I have personally these days is an old BK Precision bench meter.

Analog or Digital?
Frequency/Bandwidth?
Channels?
Used vintage boat anchor?
OR new, lighter, smaller, cheap as used, made in Shenzhen shipped direct from the PRC?

Finally, consider it's resale value. Will you be able to easily sell it?
He doesn't need wide bandwidth for audio. No advantage for him with digital and dual channel is fine. Many great units are available cheaply. Who cares about resale value?
Man, this HP is about 20 minutes from my house. For $120 I could be up and running in trouble shooting bliss, after getting some probes. Nice!
I would go for it!

I did search a bit for some possible discussions regarding bench oscilloscopes...but did not find much.

Looking for any recommendations for a bench scope. I plan to use it for basic troubleshooting of my vintage gear. I do not have plans for developing complex circuits and testing them. Just want to check components for operation against specs and locate noise, etc.

It's been many years from my college lab circuit courses, and I do not recall what functions would be applicable to my needs
and there are a great deal of options available at corresponding price points.

Suggestions / comments would be most welcome!!
Since I can only get to a Lab these days if I get on a plane (and thus I can't borrow an oscilloscope anymore!), I recently bought one of these, a handheld dual channel 40MHz oscilloscope with built in Signal Generator & multi-meter, great for general use and checking audio.

MP720781 from Multicomp Pro is a multi-function device offering both oscilloscope, digital multimeter and signal generator functionality. Features a 3.5" high resolution LCD display, USB type-C interface, self-calibration function and SCPI support.
  • Digital multimeter function offers 4½ digits and V, A, ohm, farad, diode, continuity testing modes
  • Signal generator function offers sine, square, ramp, arbitrary waveform (25/5/1/5MHz) frequency o/ps

ÂŁ139 UK: https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp-p...hz-2-1ch-w-signal/dp/IN09307?CMP=TREML007-005
$219 on sale at $158 USA; https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pr...-dso-40-mhz-250-msps/dp/25AK2940?ost=mp720781

1708873479044.png

Attachments

• Multicomp MP720781 Datasheet.pdf
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
Since I can only get to a Lab these days if I get on a plane (and thus I can't borrow an oscilloscope anymore!), I recently bought one of these, a handheld dual channel 40MHz oscilloscope with built in Signal Generator & multi-meter, great for general use and checking audio.

MP720781 from Multicomp Pro is a multi-function device offering both oscilloscope, digital multimeter and signal generator functionality. Features a 3.5" high resolution LCD display, USB type-C interface, self-calibration function and SCPI support.
  • Digital multimeter function offers 4½ digits and V, A, ohm, farad, diode, continuity testing modes
  • Signal generator function offers sine, square, ramp, arbitrary waveform (25/5/1/5MHz) frequency o/ps

ÂŁ139 UK: https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp-p...hz-2-1ch-w-signal/dp/IN09307?CMP=TREML007-005
$219 on sale at $158 USA; https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pr...-dso-40-mhz-250-msps/dp/25AK2940?ost=mp720781

View attachment 102252
Thank you!

Not what a technician would use, but appears from comments to be pretty functional for your average home/car stuff.
There are loads of electronics and radio hobbyists out there that use this stuff that would have been out of reach for most of us just a decade ago. You can buy handheld oscilloscopes direct from Ali in Chyna for $8.

There are loads of electronics and radio hobbyists out there that use this stuff that would have been out of reach for most of us just a decade ago. You can buy handheld oscilloscopes direct from Ali in Chyna for $8.
I don't disagree! My comment was more to working in a professional environment, I don't know what is used these days but I would assume a good quality 'scope.
I might pick up one of those hand held units myself.

I don't disagree! My comment was more to working in a professional environment, I don't know what is used these days but I would assume a good quality 'scope.
I might pick up one of those hand held units myself.
Yes, of course. I've worked with them my entire career. Buy my company paid for them back then. ;) It is an indispensable tool for certain tasks.

Back