Bowie Box, Covering ’90s and Early ’00s, Planned for 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
David Bowie’s official website has announced plans for a fifth epoch-covering box set to release next year, after delaying an alternate version of said collection for a 2020 release.

In a brief post, the late singer’s website confirms that the follow-up to the four career-spanning album boxes – 2015’s Five Years (1969-1973), 2016’s Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976), 2017’s A New Career in a New Town (1977-1982) and 2018’s Loving The Alien (1983-1988) – will cover the widest span of time yet: 1993 to 2001, considered by some to be his most “electronic” period.

• Black Tie White Noise, a 1993 reunion with Let’s Dance producer Nile Rodgers and Ziggy Stardust guitarist Mick Ronson, who died just weeks after the album’s release. “Jump They Say” became Bowie’s first U.K. Top 10 single since 1987.
  • The Buddha of Suburbia, the soundtrack to the 1993 BBC2 series of the same name. (Bowie called it his favorite of his albums in 2003, despite its frequent falling out-of-print.)
  • 1995’s 1. Outside, which saw Bowie reunite with producer Brian Eno for the first time since the “Berlin” era collected in Who Can I Be Now?
  • Earthling, 1997’s aggressive drum-and-bass-inspired record. (“I’m Afraid of Americans,” as remixed by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, reached the middle third of the Billboard Hot 100.)
  • ‘hours…’, released in 1999, unintentionally completing Bowie’s tenure with EMI, because…
  • Toy, planned for release on Virgin in 2001, would have seen the singer revisiting more than a dozen songs written (and sometimes released on singles) in the years before Space Oddity. Its cancellation and the sessions to Heathen (2002) led to a new chapter on Columbia Records, though some of the tracks were released as B-sides or on the compilation Nothing Has Changed.
https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/2...-covering-90s-and-early-00s-planned-for-2021/

Whatever it was, I loved it! A great period for Bowie. That album and Outside are two of my favorites. The band he was touring with at that time was incredible. Both albums would be great candidates for surround mixes.

Outside is also one of my favorite Bowie albums. The Bowie/NIN tour was phenomenal (as was Prick, the opening band), although I remember how angry I was that half the crowd left during Bowie's set. Their loss as that was a memorable set from him. I think his finale was Joe The Lion if I recall correctly.

Outside is also one of my favorite Bowie albums. The Bowie/NIN tour was phenomenal (as was Prick, the opening band), although I remember how angry I was that half the crowd left during Bowie's set. Their loss as that was a memorable set from him. I think his finale was Joe The Lion if I recall correctly.

I saw the second night of the tour. It was so cool to see him digging out obscure cuts like "Joe the Lion," "Teenage Wildlife" and "Andy Warhol." It was amusing to see all the Nine Inch Nails fans who thought he was covering Nirvana when he played "the man who sold the world!" And what a band he had with him then!

Back