Cassette player repair... any how tos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8Repair

Does anybody know of any how-tos on the internet for 'tuning up' a cassette player? I have an older pioneer cassette deck that's all aluminum, but whenever I turn it on, I start hearing this awful lack of lubrication noise.... and something is spinning... when I put a tape in, it plays at like 2/3rds speed fora few seconds, then stops. Considering the thing is gorgeous, I don't want to chuck it, but considering it's only worth like $20-40 in working condition, I don't want to pay to have it repaired, I'd rather attempt it myself. So I'm thinking, check the belts, if there are any, lube everything I can find, demagnatize the head, etc etc etc.

So anybody know of anything a bit more specific? Any how to for any cassette player would probably work.

It might need a new motor.

If that's the case, I'd toss it. It would be cheaper to find one that's working.

It could be the belt is worn out, but what makes me think it's the motor is where you said "it works for a few seconds." That's usually the sign of a dying motor.

I herad that early stopping might be the auto stop mechanism needing adjustment, or the rest of the stuff is just gunked up, so there's too much resisitence.

I think belt likewise.
It's just gummy enough to start,then like a car
belt starts squeelin' and quickly loses the last bit of
tension on motor pulley.
Hush!.....Listen....,if you hear the hum of the motor
after it stops,the motor is likely good,if not,

C'est La Vie, mon ami!

Back