Dual Disc Check out all the 5.1 Mixes for SonyBMG's March 22 DualDiscs!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Check out the SonyBMG website:

http://www.sonybmg.com/dualdisc/releases.html

I know these will probably just be Dolby Digital, but nonetheless I'm quite excited to see mulitchannel included on these. It has been a big fear of mine that Sony would go away completely from any kind of multichannel mixes on their DualDiscs. So there's still hope that we'll gain more fans of multi-channel music. Let's hope there are some decent mixes. I really liked what Elliot Mazer did for the 5.1 mix on Switchfoot's "The Beautiful Letdown" DualDisc from Sony. (If only there were DVD-Audio; I'm not sure how many more Sony DualDiscs I will buy since they lack DVD-Audio.)

Anyway, the website gives pretty decent detail as to what special features will go onto these discs:

Gretchen Wilson
Jessica Simpson
Good Charlotte (a new one...not the existing one w/stereo only)
Chevelle
Duran Duran
Lamb of God
Crossfade
Mercy Me
Indigo Girls
Nelly McKay

I wouldn't mind hearing the Duran Duran and Crossfade surround mixes. Nelly McKay could sound experiemental given the songs/lyrics, but frankly I kinda don't like that album.

Well, we're getting surround at least.......................

JonUrban said:
Well, we're getting surround at least.......................
Yeah, that sums up how I felt when I saw the titles. Wonder what's on deck.

Well I personally did the Crossfade, Jessica Simpson, Lamb Of God & Nellie McKay 5.1 mixes.
They are are discrete from the original multis.
Whether you like the mixes on these or not is up to you.
And yes, the artists did all have involvement in & approved the mixes.

Thanks for the info, Thom! If I pick up any of those it'll probably be the Crossfade DualDisc. I look forward to hearing how it came out... It seems like a lot of times hard rock mixes don't transfer as well to multi-channel, though, I'll often still prefer it over stereo---since I'm such a big surround sound freak.

btw... Any word on if the Nellie McKay DualDisc will be a 2-pack of DualDiscs to help recreate the illusion of a vinyl record side 1 and side 2---like the 2-pack of the CD version? Somehow I'm thinking not... but you never know. :)

Eugenius said:
... Any word on if the Nellie McKay DualDisc will be a 2-pack of DualDiscs to help recreate the illusion of a vinyl record side 1 and side 2---like the 2-pack of the CD version? Somehow I'm thinking not... but you never know. :)
Definitely only one disc.

ThomC said:
Well I personally did the Crossfade, Jessica Simpson, Lamb Of God & Nellie McKay 5.1 mixes.
I am VERY happy to hear that Thom!

I was just listening to Nellie McKay tonight on CD. You had a lot to work with......it's got a lot going on with harps and strings and what not. Also sounds very warm. Did that translate to the 5.1 or is that gonna be in the mastering?

It looks like Nathaniel Kunkel did the 5.1 mix for Good Charlotte's "The Chronicles Of Life And Death", according to his website.

I liked his work on "JT", for what that's worth.

I thought the switchfoot 5.1 mix was a mixed bag, but overall not that great and dissapointing.

Savageone79 said:
I thought the switchfoot 5.1 mix was a mixed bag, but overall not that great and dissapointing.

I think that's reasonable to say.

For instance, although I really have grown to like it, I still would only put it at, say, a score of 7 on a 10 scale. I think there are lots of good things going on with the surround mix and, as I mentioned in the review I posted over at Sound & Vision, that I would likely have rated it slightly higher (in this case, an 8) had it been encoded in high-resolution instead of Dolby Digital. I think hi-rez would make it easier to hear some of the improvements the surround mix provides over basic stereo.

berninahusq said:
I don't know who any of these artists are. Must be showing my age:(

That's my thought too..

I've never even heard the names before let alone have a clue who/what they sound like..

Guess I better get out of my cave a little more often..

I'm starting to get grumpy as I go through multichannel withdrawal pains...

I'll buy the ones Thom did sight unheard as they are discrete mixes and who knows I may discover some new music that gets repeat plays..

John the Depot Dude said:
That's my thought too..

I've never even heard the names before let alone have a clue who/what they sound like..

Guess I better get out of my cave a little more often..

I'm starting to get grumpy as I go through multichannel withdrawal pains...

I'll buy the ones Thom did sight unheard as they are discrete mixes and who knows I may discover some new music that gets repeat plays..
Nellie McKay is like Sybil.....multiple personalities. She croons, she raps, she does Doris Day type mellow songs....quirky stuff. But it's done so well. Geoff Emerick produced it.

ThomC said:

Hey Thom...

So what did you think of the Jessica tracks. I once worked on a remix of Toni Braxton and was amazed at how bad the vocal tracks sounded. Lots of nasal sounds (snorting etc.). Any of that stuff (if you can tell). Were you happy with the results. I like Jessica Simpson though lately I think her vocals are getting kind of over affected.

narcopolo said:
Not even Duran Duran?

Weren't they from the 80s or 90s? Don't have any of their stuff but may recognize a song or two if I heard them. Maybe I'll check out some of their sound clips on CD Universe.
:yikes

It looks like DualDisc (even non-DVD-Audio DualDiscs like these) is gonna be subject to a lot of delays, too. I see at the website that they moved the release date back a week from March 22nd to March 29th.

(I bet they're using that extra week to add hi-rez to their discs.) :rolleyes:

Back