Comments Inspired by Band, The - STAGE FRIGHT [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&W Driver

To Poll .png

Please pardon the awkward rookie questions, but I'm an old vet who's never had a "surround" system until recently.

I love The Band, especially their live stuff, so I'm keenly interested in the music you're discussing herein. The problem is that there seem to be so many different recording formats for classic music of the great pop era now. I mean, I was recently set to buy an SACD version of an old 70s album I love, but was subsequently warned that it was "stereo only" -- not surround. I do, on the other hand, have some "DTS 5.1 Surround Mix" versions of some old albums that I think sound wonderful...so I'm thinking that I should stick with that recording format?

Regardless, I'm wondering if the Stage Fright album being discussed herein has the DTS 5.1 mix I just referred to? If not, I'd appreciate it very much if someone would point me in the right direction. I don't have a lot of money for this kind of thing, so I want our hard-earned to go into the DTS format.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please pardon the awkward rookie questions, but I'm an old vet who's never had a "surround" system until recently.

I love The Band, especially their live stuff, so I'm keenly interested in the music you're discussing herein. The problem is that there seem to be so many different recording formats for classic music of the great pop era now. I mean, I was recently set to buy an SACD version of an old 70s album I love, but was subsequently warned that it was "stereo only" -- not surround. I do, on the other hand, have some "DTS 5.1 Surround Mix" versions of some old albums that I think sound wonderful...so I'm thinking that I should stick with that recording format?

Regardless, I'm wondering if the Stage Fright album being discussed herein has the DTS 5.1 mix I just referred to? If not, I'd appreciate it very much if someone would point me in the right direction. I don't have a lot of money for this kind of thing, so I want our hard-earned to go into the DTS format.

Thank you for your time.
Surround sound format 101 could/should be an interesting thread, on it's own. Such a thing might exist, actually.

Anyway, some SACDs are multichannel. It's a great format, IMO.

My advice is to get a universal bluray player, like an OPPO BDP-103 and an AVR that can handle all or most modern formats. Don't limit yourself to lossy DTS.
SACD (DSD), Blu-ray (DTS HD MA, LPCM and Dolby True HD, others), DVD-Audio all have amazing titles worth the set up.

Thank you for your time.
Music From Big Pink, The Band & Stage Fright are new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Bob Clearmountain and are in DTS HD Master Audio on Blu-Ray which are lossless, the issue is they are only available in the box sets, and may never be released as stand alone discs. I've those and the DVD-Audio discs of Music From Big Pink and the Last Waltz, but the problem with DVD-Audio is it is a 'dead' format as there are no major releases on it anymore and player support is limited.

I would get a Universal Player for BD-A, SACD & DVD-A if you can, Oppos are great but only available 2nd hand these days (they stopped manufacture and can go for a lot of £s) you might have more luck finding a second hand SACD/DVD-A player (which will do Dolby & DTS) at a reasonable price and then get a Blu-ray player as well which would often do Dolby, DTS on DVD-V (which are also found on DVD-A) & the newer DTS HD & Dolby HD lossless formats, then there is now Dolby Atmos. The other 'catch' is most no-longer have analogue outputs just the digital HDMI connection, and most new AV Amps do not have multi-channel analogue inputs, so you need to be careful to get kit to match your current system.

Thank you and Cheers for the replies, folks! I realize that my post doesn't reflect it, but we do own some audio equipment that I believe can handle the media we're after. You see, we were blown out of NOLA by Katrina and, after more than a decade in a [read:quiet] condo complex, we're finally back in our own home again. With this in mind, we've dusted off our old audio gear and have slowly been moving toward our first decent 5.1 system.

With that in mind, we do own an Oppo 105D player and a Sony X800M2 player for our audio and video, respectively. We also own a 5.1 compatible AVR in the form of a Mac MX151, but what we don't have is the background knowledge of the recording formats. In other words, we know that certain audio equipment can give one 5.1 surround sound, but we own hundreds of "rebook" stereo CDs and HDCDs, but not much in the way of DTS 5.1, SACD, DVD-A or Blu Ray audio. I guess that we've always had decent stereo sound, but moving toward a modern "surround" setup that we can actually listen to and/or hear has been the tough part.

Edison Baggins' suggestion for a "Surround Sound 101" thread is probably just what we need for learning the basics about these non-stereo recording formats. Again, thank you for your time and your thoughtful consideration.

Thank you for your time.
First off, welcome. Please don't limit yourself to any particular format/hard discs that are for sale whether new or out of print.
They all sound fantastic and they all sound crappy, by that I mean every release has there jewels and there not so goods.
An example is the recent Blu Ray Doobie Brothers Quadio set. I personally prefer the DVD-A of The Captain And Me compared to the brand new Blu Ray.
Welcome to our club, it is a fascinating world.
EDIT: Oops, broke my own rule.

Moderators, please remove my post and others like mine that are not poll related this can get out of hand on this poll very fast.

Anyone got a link for this set at a decent price ?

Last I read they wanted $200.00 CDN $ .
And I could buy it at that price , but really ??
Love The Band , just not worth a 2nd mortgage.

You chaps are off the reservation again with this pricing / availability chatter in a poll thread. 👮‍♂️ 🤣
I'm going to set a good example here and post this in the proper thread. 😇
Please forgive my obnoxious virtue-signaling. (new word I learned in lockdown) :devilish:

Last I looked Walmart had it for $118 with free shipping.
What that translates to in the land of the 🇨🇦 💵 and national legal weed, beats me, YMMV. ;)

The other strategy, of course, is wait for a Black Friday sale.
These Band boxes have not gone out of print, much more like the Beatles than Tull in that regard, it seems.

EDIT: Oops, broke my own rule.

Moderators, please remove my post and others like mine that are not poll related this can get out of hand on this poll very fast.

People who live in glass houses... 🤣😂🤣:LOL::LOL::LOL:

So the next Bob Clearmountain 5.1 [or ATMOS?] remix will be CAHOOTS. And then perhaps onto Robbie Robertson's solo projects. And I cannot believe Robbie is going to be 78!

See the source image

Music From Big Pink - Average 5.1 mix
The Band - 2nd album has a far better 5.1 mix which I enjoyed

Back