Connecting up a system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdog0622

Hi I have a lot of questions and am unsure if I want to do is even possible
See I want to use my vintage audio setup to both run music and my tv sound.
I also want to use effects
My current gear is
Pioneer qx-949a
Pioneer sa-9500
Pioneer tx-9500
Pioneer pl-750
JVC-v112
Leader lbo-508 Scope
Technics rs-tr212
Pioneer sr-303
Pioneer rg-2
Akai 1730d-ss
Sony mds-je510
various other media players that are both stereo and 5.1 (will be using as quad)
How in the world would I be able to connect up this absurd amount of gear alongside the effect processors??
Is it even possible?
I was reading about the dbx-200 but from my understanding there simply wouldn’t be enough inputs on it
I’m not too terribly familiar with tape loops and such so any help would be much appreciated

My current gear is
Pioneer qx-949a
Pioneer sa-9500
Pioneer tx-9500
Pioneer pl-750
JVC-v112
Leader lbo-508 Scope
Technics rs-tr212
Pioneer sr-303
Pioneer rg-2
Akai 1730d-ss
Sony mds-je510
various other media players that are both stereo and 5.1 (will be using as quad)
How in the world would I be able to connect up this absurd amount of gear alongside the effect processors??
Is it even possible?
I was reading about the dbx-200 but from my understanding there simply wouldn’t be enough inputs on it
I’m not too terribly familiar with tape loops and such so any help would be much appreciated
Look for switch boxes designed for component video. They are available cheap as few people bother using them anymore now that everything is HDMI. Those boxes use mechanical switches. The fancy units like Zektor are switched via relays.

Another option is the Russound QT-1 patch panel but they are hard to come by an usually expensive. In use they are a bit unintuitive.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/fs-zektor-hds4-1-blk.33849/

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...age-quad-receiver-denon-avr-3802.35102/page-2

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/rack-mounted-zektors.35600/

Look for switch boxes designed for component video. They are available cheap as few people bother using them anymore now that everything is HDMI. Those boxes use mechanical switches. The fancy units like Zektor are switched via relays.

Another option is the Russound QT-1 patch panel but they are hard to come by an usually expensive. In use they are a bit unintuitive.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/fs-zektor-hds4-1-blk.33849/

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...age-quad-receiver-denon-avr-3802.35102/page-2

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/rack-mounted-zektors.35600/
Would having 4 switches that are component work then? Having two for audio that are front and back and then another two for video again for front and back. I think that would work but I’m not quite sure about the effect processors because they really weren’t meant for quad in the first place
But that should only matter for discrete as i don’t have any discrete media as of now i should only need to put the switcher then the effects and the pre to the 949a
Because i think i would need to have two of each for both front and back of discrete
I was thinking about this one https://www.amazon.com/MT-VIKI-Switcher-Composite-Selector-Consoles/dp/B0881S1N8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=C730OJ21KZ8K&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9HvCwp-8K3C2aCzJMAdQMWqEp31URSYzo8HUJ6ENXg8UiRUqPXxdfrTcjKePJpNdm4QH0TZJKxssY8EscoEO_NhyKXNH4D82UO9PexWjso5Eq0H1JITzg-0eE_oE9R6MleIvqoSuz7cw3-1Gs9sdeJKzENjp1tRGd5mc_6C0Cbq0Jo566ozveNBz4WNlLqH-TcFZ_kaUuh_s1JO-07jyhA.KUAppJYmyYiniYN1l67emco4fwl8beDPwdrD8wUvFiA&dib_tag=se&keywords=av+switcher+10+in+1+out&qid=1709406550&sprefix=av+switch,aps,286&sr=8-18

Last edited:
Would having 4 switches that are component work then? Having two for audio that are front and back and then another two for video again for front and back. I think that would work but I’m not quite sure about the effect processors because they really weren’t meant for quad in the first place
But that should only matter for discrete as i don’t have any discrete media as of now i should only need to put the switcher then the effects and the pre to the 949a
Because i think i would need to have two of each for both front and back of discrete
I was thinking about this one https://www.amazon.com/MT-VIKI-Switcher-Composite-Selector-Consoles/dp/B0881S1N8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=C730OJ21KZ8K&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9HvCwp-8K3C2aCzJMAdQMWqEp31URSYzo8HUJ6ENXg8UiRUqPXxdfrTcjKePJpNdm4QH0TZJKxssY8EscoEO_NhyKXNH4D82UO9PexWjso5Eq0H1JITzg-0eE_oE9R6MleIvqoSuz7cw3-1Gs9sdeJKzENjp1tRGd5mc_6C0Cbq0Jo566ozveNBz4WNlLqH-TcFZ_kaUuh_s1JO-07jyhA.KUAppJYmyYiniYN1l67emco4fwl8beDPwdrD8wUvFiA&dib_tag=se&keywords=av+switcher+10+in+1+out&qid=1709406550&sprefix=av+switch,aps,286&sr=8-18
I thought that your main concern was switching audio (four channels), in a system with only one set of discrete inputs. The video switches I'm referring to are all passive devices and can switch four, five and in some cases six channels simultaneously. Being passive they don't care if the inputs are audio or video. You can switch the front and back (audio) channels using just one device.

An AV receiver or the TV itself should be able to switch the video. Obviously if you wanted to switch component video as well as multi-channel audio you will need more switches.

If you are currently only concerned with switching stereo inputs there are a lot of passive stereo switches available for that purpose.

That unit will only be good for switching stereo. It will only switch a maximum of three channels at a time. It is composite video not component video. If you are wanting to switch composite video and stereo audio together then that one would work fine.

Yes to use it for switching quad you would need one for the front and another for the rear.

That unit will only be good for switching stereo. It will only switch a maximum of three channels at a time. It is composite video not component video. If you are wanting to switch composite video and stereo audio together then that one would work fine.

Yes to use it for switching quad you would need one for the front and another for the rear.
Yeah that makes sense
I think I confused myself with how the effects processors would work with quad and how to connect it to the 949a
I would imagine I would use one of those component switches and get another set of the processors for front and back
I personally use RM to convert stereo sound to quad which complicates things a lot because those are two different inputs on the 949a
The decoder and discrete input are two different inputs so I think I’ll need the component switcher for the discrete and some stereo switcher for the decoder but then that raises the question of how to use the processors
I also wonder if there’s really any point to have those for discrete sound
I apologize for any confusion

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense
I think I confused myself with how the effects processors would work with quad and how to connect it to the 949a
I would imagine I would use one of those component switches and get another set of the processors for front and back
I personally use RM to convert stereo sound to quad which complicates things a lot because those are two different inputs on the 949a
The decoder and discrete input are two different inputs so I think I’ll need the component switcher for the discrete and some stereo switcher for the decoder but then that raises the question of how to use the processors
I also wonder if there’s really any point to have those for discrete sound
I apologize for any confusion
Figured it out
I would just need another set but the dbx ii 128 does have a quad feature so i could use that for quad but i don’t know if most quad sources really need that or if it would only be useful for non discrete sources

Figured it out
I would just need another set but the dbx ii 128 does have a quad feature so i could use that for quad but i don’t know if most quad sources really need that or if it would only be useful for non discrete sources
The dbx II 128 is a dynamic range expander and tape noise reduction system, so nothing to do with quad. You could run it before a quad decoder as long as the channels track closely enough. The quad feature that you mention is used to couple two 128 units together for (discrete) quad, it allows two stereo units to track each other for more stable imaging.

So yes you would need two units for discrete sources and it might also be a good idea for matrix as well, running two units on the quad decoders outputs rather than using a single unit on the input.

Ironic how dbx sought to increase dynamic range while modern mixes and remastering strive to reduce and even eliminate it!

My current gear is
Pioneer qx-949a
Pioneer sa-9500
Pioneer tx-9500
Pioneer pl-750
JVC-v112
Leader lbo-508 Scope
Technics rs-tr212
Pioneer sr-303
Pioneer rg-2
Akai 1730d-ss
Sony mds-je510
Is it even possible?
The original question was how to run the audio from your TV to your amp/receiver. What audio output(s) do you have on your TV? Most TVs just have stereo audio outputs via RCA jacks. Sometimes you have a choice between "variable" (meaning the output is controlled by the TV's volume control) and "fixed" (meaning the output is a constant level and the TV's volume doesn't affect the output level). You could still use the TV speakers if you wish as sound would still come from those, too.

Your TV may only have a headphone output, usually via a 1/8" stereo mini jack. You could use that, but those outputs usually turn off the TV speakers when you plug into that output. You may or may not want that.

If my original statement above applies to your situation, simply run a stereo cable to a stereo input on your amp. Then use "surround synthesizer" modes of the amp or any of the decoders you are using to spread the sound to all your speakers if you wish. If all you have is the headphone output, same procedure but use a patch cable that goes from stereo mini plug to L & R RCA plugs.

Last edited:
Most modern TV's don't have audio outputs anymore:(. They usually do have a fibre (s/pdif) output and/or HDMI output. You can get converters for both inexpensively, see eBay Aliexpress or amazon.

They made the new incompatible with the old again.

I would gather all of the two-channel/matrix sources together in one place (eg Pioneer qx949) with a switcher on the aux in (and phono for records).

I would gather all of the discrete 4-channel sources to a switcher (or a pair of switchers) to a discrete input on the qx494.

Tape machines to the tape monitor positions on qx949.

Use a tee connector to tap off of the 2-channel switchers or the tape out of qx949 to feed a separate receiver for 5.1 or Atmos.

Use a tee connector to tap off of the 2-channel switchers or the tape out of qx949 to feed an extra matrix decoder

There are two kinds of effects:
- Insert effect - Placed in series with the signal path. A compressor or equalizer must act on the entire signal.
- Send effect - Signals from many different sources go to the effect, which is then mixed into the output. A reverb or chorus goes here.

I have a mixer (Behringer UB2442FX) I use when I want to encode surround or add effects. I insert it into the audio chain where I need it.

The original question was how to run the audio from your TV to your amp/receiver. What audio output(s) do you have on your TV? Most TVs just have stereo audio outputs via RCA jacks. Sometimes you have a choice between "variable" (meaning the output is controlled by the TV's volume control) and "fixed" (meaning the output is a constant level and the TV's volume doesn't affect the output level). You could still use the TV speakers if you wish as sound would still come from those, too.

Your TV may only have a headphone output, usually via a 1/8" stereo mini jack. You could use that, but those outputs usually turn off the TV speakers when you plug into that output. You may or may not want that.

If my original statement above applies to your situation, simply run a stereo cable to a stereo input on your amp. Then use "surround synthesizer" modes of the amp or any of the decoders you are using to spread the sound to all your speakers if you wish. If all you have is the headphone output, same procedure but use a patch cable that goes from stereo mini plug to L & R RCA plugs.
I find a LOT of current TV is in Dolby Surround. Run that headphone jack to an original Dolby Surround or Pro Logic decoder.

I have deleted my post text from here as I now think it was in the wrong spot. I'm unable to work out how to delete it completely. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:
Back