Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, ambisonic -->matrix decode

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Moo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I was lurking on another forum & read that this stereo release was recorded with a single Calrec ambisonic mic. Which is a mic with 4 capsules.

So the original stereo release might work with a matrix 4ch decoder. Has anyone tried it out?

My 4ch matrix setup is dismantled, so I can't. But the church ambience & surround might be worth checking out with any of the various designs

I was lurking on another forum & read that this stereo release was recorded with a single Calrec ambisonic mic. Which is a mic with 4 capsules.

So the original stereo release might work with a matrix 4ch decoder. Has anyone tried it out?

My 4ch matrix setup is dismantled, so I can't. But the church ambience & surround might be worth checking out with any of the various designs
My Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro has an AMIBISONIC DSP mode and I happen to have the Analogue Production's Stereo SACD remaster of THE TRINITY SESSIONS. If I can find it, I will certainly check it out especially since my new system has matching self amplified speakers front and rear.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/106913/Cowboy_Junkies-The_Trinity_Session-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Last edited:
Last edited:

The original Trinity Sessions album is encoded in stereo UHJ, so playback can be simple stereo or UHJ. Matrix Quad decoders give odd imaging but Dolby ProLogic can give OK results.

Hereā€™s a thread below that may help; Iā€™d advise to read through the whole thread. Iā€™ve used the VST plugin WIGWARE in Reaper DAW for UHJ decoding. Both @stevendive and @Mark Anderson seem very knowledgeable on the subject!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/binaural-ambisonics-q-sound.31631/#post-603637

The Cowboy Junkies first album WHITES OFF EARTH NOW was also recorded ambisonically but MoFi saved us the trouble of decoding it by releasing it as a 4 channel SACD! And it sounds AMAZING!

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4222
https://www.discogs.com/release/2846955-Cowboy-Junkies-Whites-Off-Earth-Now
COWBOY JUNKIES -
Whites Off Earth Now!!. Latent Recordings 2380-2-R [Canada]
{The CD versions are UHJ encoded, the MSFL 5.1 mix that is available as a SACD
used the "Generate Perfect Surround" or GPS system to create the surround mix
from the UHJ encoded 2-track master as the engineer was not happy with the
UHJ decoding results}

Essentially it is an upmix as it was recorded to 2 channel not multi-track

Ambisonic UHJ Discography

COWBOY JUNKIES -
Whites Off Earth Now!!. Latent Recordings 2380-2-R [Canada]
{The CD versions are UHJ encoded, the MSFL 5.1 mix that is available as a SACD

used the "Generate Perfect Surround" or GPS system to create the surround mix
from the UHJ encoded 2-track master as the engineer was not happy with the
UHJ decoding results}

Essentially it is an upmix as it was recorded to 2 channel not multi-track

Ambisonic UHJ Discography
Correct Mark. According to Wikipedia it was recorded Ambisonically with a single calrec microphone on Betamax in stereo but if it is indeed an upmix, it does sound pretty amazing .... unless MoFi had access to an Ambisonic decoder ....

Back