CTI/Kudu LP's In Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi There!
Just thought I'd throw this one out at everyone. A local record dealer sold me Deodato 2 as a "hidden" quad. His theory was that the "SQ" in the trail off area denoted quad. I checked Deodato - Prelude and found "SQ" only on one side. I have never seen a separate quad issue from CTI/Kudu though they are listed on/in the covers. Were they one issue, stereo/quad, or separate issues? Were they just stickered with quad? I also played Antonio Carlos Jobim's Tide LP (Creed Taylor from A&M here in Canada) and the effect was at least as cool in SQ as the Deodato LP's. Am I just hearing "Sounds Good In Stereo" or are they really quad. Here in Canada, CTI was released early on by A&M, Quality?, and later RCA, and possibly more. I'd love to hear more about this.
Thanks for the info,
Matthew:confused:

On the back of Airto Fingers cover it states:
"This album is available on
Stereo and Quad LP
Stereo and Quad 8 track
Stereo and Quad Reel to Reel
and Stereo cassette

(btw, USA LP is SQ, Japan LP is CD4).

Talk about single-inventory releases!!! :)

Based on the info from the quaddies around here and also from what I've seen in the run out etchings, the early releases of the CTI/Kudu were dual inventory, stereo and SQ quad. The early covers did have the Quadraphonic banner on the front if it was quad. Later, the company kept pressing the SQ records and putting them in the stereo covers and stereo labels. So most times you will see a regular stereo cover and a record with an SQ marking in the runout area. The SQ in the runout area is what to look for.

Vinylguy4

If you see an SQ marking in the trail-off wax on one side but not the other, it probably means they used an SQ vinyl stamper for one side and a stereo stamper for the other side.

It is common practice for pressing factories to "mix and match" stampers for any number of reasons. Usually you will see a -1, -2, -3, etc. following the matrix number indicating whether it is the first stamper, second stamper, third stamper, etc. to have been produced from a given metal master. So, it is not uncommon to see -2 on one side and -3 on the other, just to given an example. If you throw SQ stampers into the mix, it is not surprising (but probably rare) to find a situation where they used an SQ stamper for one side and a stereo stamper for the other.

It is probably more common to find this in the post-quad era when they were reissuing titles. Perhaps they didn't do a good job of inventorying the stamper differences, or they needed a decent stamper and didn't want to go back to the metal master to make a new one so they just lazily grabbed an SQ stamper.

Any number of reasons why this could have happened but it doesn't surprise me. The bottom line is I believe the side with an SQ marking is quad while the other side is not.

Hi Everybody!
Thanks for the info. I would love to compare the Japanese CD-4 to the SQ. I will certainly be looking closer at the trail off for the SQ stampers. Its kinda weird to find an LP that is mixed media (stereo one side, quad on the other). I would prefer a full quad if I can find it. Should there be someone out there interested in trading for an oddity, I am interested. Mine is a strong VG, at least and I will clean it on my Nitty Gritty for even trade.
Thanks again everyone for the info, I will pass it around here so help out local quaddies at my local stores.
P.S. Here in Toronto, 2 stores have a small but separate quad section for vinyl, Discovery Records (discoveryrecords.com), and Paradise Bound Records ([email protected])
Happy Listening,
Matthew

Ve-e-ery interesting. Reading this thread I dug out my small but tidy CTI collection and discovered I had a hidden gem: Joe Farrell 'Penny Arcade' which has the 'SQ' prefix written in the run-out area on both sides - together with the VAN GELDER stamp. A quick test with the Adobe script confirmed it to be a quad cut. How nice!

Does anyone have a definitive list of which CTI recordings were released (or manufactured at all) in SQ quad? Hidden or not?

Ve-e-ery interesting. Reading this thread I dug out my small but tidy CTI collection and discovered I had a hidden gem: Joe Farrell 'Penny Arcade' which has the 'SQ' prefix written in the run-out area on both sides - together with the VAN GELDER stamp. A quick test with the Adobe script confirmed it to be a quad cut. How nice!

Does anyone have a definitive list of which CTI recordings were released (or manufactured at all) in SQ quad? Hidden or not?

http://www.dougpayne.com/ctin6004.htm

This fellow seems to have the best discography. What is interesting is that the Farrell LP is the following # in the quad lp sequence. Deodato is 6029, then Mister T, Giant Box, Benson, then this Farrell LP So it is logical to see it in quad and never advertised as perhaps the decision to drop Quad was ordered but this was in the pipeline. So we found a new quad lp!! Now lets see if anyone has the next few in line and check those too. They would be
  • Rambler / Gabor Szabo 6035
  • Keep Your Soul Together / Freddie Hubbard 6036
  • All Blues / Ron Carter 6037
  • Goodbye / Milt Jackson Hubert Laws 6038
  • Skylark / Paul Desmond 6039
The Sq lps are shown as they were originally issued. They must have issued at least the next one in order, so maybe more.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/cti/cti.html

This fellow shows that 6035 6036 6037 were all issued either !0/73 or 11/73. Good chance here to find another.

Excellent tidbit, I would never have thought of looking.... when I did at he local used record shop yesterday I found a Grover Washington Soul Box and a Deodato 2, both in the standard stereo packaging but with the SQ on the vinyl. They entered my collection, along with a couple other quad identified CTI's, "Tip of the Iceberg", and CD4s...not a Seals & Croft fan per se, but for $4.... All in all, 9 quad albums out of that store in two visits. John S.

OK.

I Have seen some copies of Deodato 2 and Airto/ Deodato Live in my local record store that show SQ in the record label number but no quad labeling otherwise. So assuming these are quad, does anyone have them and how is the mix? Discrete or just ambience?
I am also interested in a CTI record of Airto Morea called Fingers. Are the later pressings all SQ also? And how is the mix? I'm not familiar with these artists.

Finally, its not on CTI but Mark Andersons discography lists a Dave Brubeck Paul Desmond album called Duets on the Horizon label that he says is an unmarked QS quad.
Does anyone have this record and can confirm it is quad?

I'm trying to branch out into jazz and looking for any quad records that exist (I already have the two Miles records and a few ABC Impulse records) for jazz.

Jeff

Another question that occurs to me is what quad records actually sound better/ more discrete thru a synthesizer like the Variomatrix or the Tate than actual faithful decoding thru SQ or QS, but thats a subject for another thread...

Fingers SQ shows up sometimes on ebay... there are a couple right now. Tape versions, both Q8 and QR, are extremely rare.
The mix on Fingers is very discrete, as in the Deodato quads, but IMHO it could be better. Anyway, San Francisco River in quad is just incredible.

http://www.dougpayne.com/ctin6004.htm

• Rambler / Gabor Szabo 6035
  • Keep Your Soul Together / Freddie Hubbard 6036
  • All Blues / Ron Carter 6037
  • Goodbye / Milt Jackson Hubert Laws 6038
  • Skylark / Paul Desmond 6039
The Sq lps are shown as they were originally issued. They must have issued at least the next one in order, so maybe more.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/cti/cti.html

This fellow shows that 6035 6036 6037 were all issued either !0/73 or 11/73. Good chance here to find another.

I have the Gabor Szabo LP 6035 and it has no SQ in the runout area. I did listen to this and it is not SQ quad.
I did recently get the Joe Farrell LP with the SQ scribed in the runout area. It looks like the Q was scribbled over. I did listen and it is SQ quad.

Vinylguy4

I have the Gabor Szabo LP 6035 and it has no SQ in the runout area. I did listen to this and it is not SQ quad.
I did recently get the Joe Farrell LP with the SQ scribed in the runout area. It looks like the Q was scribbled over. I did listen and it is SQ quad.

Vinylguy4
I picked up the Ron Carter title and likewise, no SQ.

- Rambler / Gabor Szabo 6035
- Keep Your Soul Together / Freddie Hubbard 6036
- All Blues / Ron Carter 6037

I recently found a Ron Carter - All Blues, unfortunately, not quad, no SQ in runout area, did not decode like an SQ, same findings as quadtrade. Also for Keep Your Soul Together / Freddie Hubbard 6036, no SQ.
So it appears that the Nov 73 releases, only the Joe Farrell - Penny Arcade was SQ.

vinylguy4

Off topic but related...if anyone is zeroing in on the CTI line of quads I've got a spare copy of Don Sabesky's Big Box available...cheap. Corner of the box is a cut out but the vinyls (2 discs) are in great shape. Not in front of me, but probably close to unplayed, has the insert, and all "SQ" in the runouts. If anyone wants it for $5 plus the shipping, PM me or reply here. John

Off topic but related...if anyone is zeroing in on the CTI line of quads I've got a spare copy of Don Sabesky's Big Box available...cheap. Corner of the box is a cut out but the vinyls (2 discs) are in great shape. Not in front of me, but probably close to unplayed, has the insert, and all "SQ" in the runouts. If anyone wants it for $5 plus the shipping, PM me or reply here. John
Would be very much interested :). If it is still available, plse let me know and I will be pm'ing all my details

Just bought a quad copy of Johnny Hammond's Higher Ground album on Kudu (16) from 1974, which had QUADRAPHONIC on album front cover and labels, together with the SQ suffix. Also had a "record collector's guide to quadraphonic sound" on one side of the inside sleeve.

I guess I'm in a reviving ancient threads mood this week. Sorry. But I just realised that I need to add Joe Farrell - Penny Arcade to the list of CTI quads I still need.

I only have Deodato 2 Grover Washington Soul Box and Johnny Hammond Higher Ground with the quad logo. The Single issue copies I have are George Benson Body Talk, Deodato/Airto In Concert, Airto Fingers and Stanley Turrentine Don't Mess With Mister T. I have all but three (well, now missing 4 including penny arcade) of the rest. I am missing:

Hank Crawford Wildflower

Deodato Prelude

Don Sebesky Giant Box

Joe Farrell Penny Arcade

Let me know if there are any I haven't mentioned in this post.

With the Single issue releases, they have the SQ in the dead wax, but also the same matrix number with SQ on it is on the labels. The George Benson one still had "Quadraphonic" on the label. Too bad there were not more like Penny Arcade. That would have been a thrill.

Last edited:
PM Sent! Thanks! I have wanted to hear this as it seems to be CTI's big quad show piece. Even if the mix isn't the best, I imagine it has to be amazing just due to the talent assembled.

Back