HiRez Poll Deodato - PRELUDE & DEODATO 2 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Deodato - PRELUDE & DEODATO 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Another great value twofer for Dutton Vocalion, the mix is great and as always with DC very good liner notes too, the music is not really to my taste, so I'm going with a 7, but pleased I picked this up.

This is one of my more unexpected favorites in the last six years and I gave it a 9 back in '17 or so.

While giving it my bi-annual (or so) listen, I'm just realizing there isn't much bass to the album at all. I got my subs at +6db and they should just be thumping at that level and there's not really anything there. You can hear the bass notes, but there is really no tactile impact to them.

Anyhoo, not really a detriment to the album, as it's still a groovy, acid inspired, good timing surround mix.

Last edited:
This is one of my more unexpected favorites in the last six years and I gave it a 9 back in '17 or so.

While giving it my bi-annual (or so) listen, I'm just realizing there isn't much bass to the album at all. I got my subs at +6db and they should just be thumping at that level and there's not really anything there. You can the bass notes, but there is really no tactile impact to them.

Anyhoo, not really detriment to the album, as it's still a groovy, acid inspired, good timing surround mix.
heya 🤗 not trying to diagnose anything that may not even be an issue, just curious, which of the two albums on the disc are Bass-shy? also wondering what happens to the Bass levels when temporarily disengaging the Subs altogether and running the 4 main speakers (Front L&R + Rear L&R) as Large/Full Range? if it's a faff to fiddle about please don't worry about it, you're enjoying the disc a great deal already anyway so it's all good 😍

I am in trouble. Just finished the first track, and I have to jump on the forum. I've been casting a lot of 9 and 10 recently. SO I don't know what to say, this is another level of quad mixing. One track is enough to understand. Many quad mixing end up being one stereo plan front, one stereo plan, rear. From the beginning the drum is stereo center (I mean equally represented in stereo front and stereo rear), brass are boldly confined to rear left, strings to rear right... Guitar is front center, with its reverb being stereo rear...
You get far more space than 2 stereo plans. This is what quad mixing should be, bold, diverse and assertive.
This is where my trouble lies. 10 seems small to me in regards of others 10 and 9 I voted.

[edit 1] another fine exemple in Spirit of Summer : strings are stereo front (as are the keys), brass is again rear left, but its reverb is rear right, with a small predelay setup. That ends feeling your head is into the brass yet the slightly delayed reverb maintain a sense of space without making the close scrutiny on brass claustrophobic. You get a low level perc in the rear right, but within its own (different) reverb. Interesting treatment of solo guitar that moves from slight left front to ull left front panning, like it was recorded with an hexaphonic pick up and that each string had its own panning.
Did I say I was enthousiastic ? This is lesson to me.

[edit 2] One may be suprised the rule of having an instrument and its reverb on the same channel is broken here. Really it was always a stupid rule, and it is a dated stupid rule. I'm glad when the quad mix was done, the person in charge was more adventurous.

Last edited:
heya 🤗 not trying to diagnose anything that may not even be an issue, just curious, which of the two albums on the disc are Bass-shy? also wondering what happens to the Bass levels when temporarily disengaging the Subs altogether and running the 4 main speakers (Front L&R + Rear L&R) as Large/Full Range? if it's a faff to fiddle about please don't worry about it, you're enjoying the disc a great deal already anyway so it's all good 😍

That is a lot to fiddle with :)

Rock on!

Back