Desktop PC DVD-A player? Could be the one!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This looks like a very interesting project.
ShaPLAY is apparently an open source (currently buggy but under development) DVD-A player that will not resample (like PowerDVD does) or be a pain with anything above 48KHz (Like older WinDVD) and does not require a creative Lies soundcard installed (Creative Player).
It also ignores watermarks.........
It does need something though - ffdshow_tryouts - but not as default, just there.
See the following thread for locations & details.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16058387[/FONT]

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out soon.

How safe is it to install to a working setup?
The program does not have an installer yet, just put it (and it's .dll) somewhere on your disc. You should take care with the install and configuration of fddshow however. There was a screenshot, leave everything disabled except "uncompressed".

It has to be the right version of FFDShow too - ffdshow_tryout, not the full older one!
There is a new build coming very soon with DirectShow libraries, and might get around the need for the other library to be there at all.
It's a very interesting project.

If you've got it running, I know the author would appreciate a list of commercially pressed titles that do not play properly.

After playing around with different versions of PowerDVD and WinDVD I have found the WinDVD 7 works perfectly and passes 24/96 over HDMI to my receiver. WinDVD 6 would pass 24/96 as well but only in 2 channels and 8 and 9 downsampled. I also tried PowerDVD 7, 8, and 9 and all downsampled as well but WinDVD 7 took care of everything. Granted WinDVD is not opensource but for those not savvy with open source programs it is a great option.

What about gapless playback. Anyone know how all of these players (and versions) do with a continuous piece like Dark Side?

After playing around with different versions of PowerDVD and WinDVD I have found the WinDVD 7 works perfectly and passes 24/96 over HDMI to my receiver. WinDVD 6 would pass 24/96 as well but only in 2 channels and 8 and 9 downsampled. I also tried PowerDVD 7, 8, and 9 and all downsampled as well but WinDVD 7 took care of everything. Granted WinDVD is not opensource but for those not savvy with open source programs it is a great option.

What build of WinDVD 7?
I had one that refused to play a lot of earlier pressed titles due to hacked CPPM keys being revoked.....

I am using WinDVD 7 Build 27.071 Release 2. I have not had any issues with it and I played a few regular DVD-Audios without issue(Outkast Stankonia, Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, Flaming Lips AWWTM) but with Gapless playback I hear a very fast slight click between tracks when I listened to DSOTM original quad mix. PowerDVD played Gapless perfectly but it downsampled it defeating the purpose of the source. I Installed it on Saturday so every day I can play a few more things. My original intent for having in a PC was for all those lovely homemamde quad DVDA's out there but I can test my regular discs more and more.

I am using WinDVD 7 Build 27.071 Release 2. I have not had any issues with it and I played a few regular DVD-Audios without issue(Outkast Stankonia, Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, Flaming Lips AWWTM) but with Gapless playback I hear a very fast slight click between tracks when I listened to DSOTM original quad mix. PowerDVD played Gapless perfectly but it downsampled it defeating the purpose of the source. I Installed it on Saturday so every day I can play a few more things. My original intent for having in a PC was for all those lovely homemamde quad DVDA's out there but I can test my regular discs more and more.

Does it work on the Fagen DVDA, like Kamakiriad?
This is one of the titles that has a withdrawn CPPM key.......and does not function in a build of WinDVD 7 that I had bought. Cannot remember the build number though.

Well, this shaplay program is absolute rubish. Don't bother wasting your time looking for it and installing it, it doesn't work, period. It crashes the moment you hit the start button. Absolute waste of time!

Back