How do you feel about CDs in Vinyl Gatefolds?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
This is a really strange question, but I was browsing Yahoo Japan and came across a SACD that comes in a 12" Vinyl Gatefold!
Here's a pic for reference.
1695230220832.png

How do you feel about this style of packaging? With the vinyl boom and the advent of people buying physical media for the packaging rather than the content, do you think that when we hit the eventual CD boom, this style of packaging will become popular? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

This is a really strange question, but I was browsing Yahoo Japan and came across a SACD that comes in a 12" Vinyl Gatefold!
View attachment 96487
How do you feel about this style of packaging? With the vinyl boom and the advent of people buying physical media for the packaging rather than the content, do you think that when we hit the eventual CD boom, this style of packaging will become popular? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Not worth the storage space. Plus, what a waste of resources. Besides you can pretty much see all of that on line magnified as needed.

View attachment 96487
My goodness, that particular packaging, with the CD tray just kinda in the middle there, just looks silly. I do like the 7" packaging they do for the Sony Japan SACDs, though, with the CD holder looking like a vinyl record and the CD acting as the vinyl label.

One disc in an LP sized sleeve looks a bit ridiculous. If it was a four disc set that type of packaging would make more sense. I do like CD's packaged in mini LP jackets however. They look cool and save space compared to Jewel cases, it's just that I can't read them like a full sized album cover.

Looks a bit awkward for all the reasons already mentioned of course. The actual recording medium demanded the jacket size with vinyl. A retro facsimile just doesn't hit the same way.

Having said that. My SOP is to shop for the best copy of the music first. That covered, of course I'll grab the one with the best cover! Why wouldn't I, right?

The biggest disappointment I've seen where it felt genuinely cheap and stupid was that original bluray boxed release of Aqualung. They reproduced the vinyl gatefold cover but the inside had slots uncerimoniously sliced into it for the bluray and CDs. It just looked trashy. It didn't help that there was mastering damage to Steve Wilson's 5.1 remixes as well as some of the songs missing from the release. All corrected now with subsequent releases but that one stunk. Do something like that and I'll be genuinely upset. Otherwise I'll take any artwork!

I once had a “deluxe” Laserdisc of “Jaws” that had a CD of the soundtrack, and that sorta made sense. But I’ve not bought records just because they had wierd packaging that made it difficult to store. This would fit in that category.

Back