Hybrid SACD Cracking???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neil wilkes said:
The subject of the early Hybrid SACDs made by Crest National developing cracks has been discussed several times earlier and was the subject of several articles on High Fidelity Review.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=18441196

Crest has since changed the materials and specs used in producing Hybrid SACDs.

OK, let's not start another round of format bashing. SACDs and DVD-As both have some problems, so let's not get crazy. As Brian has stated, this is old news on older pressed discs, and it also has been discussed here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449&highlight=crest

Actually, they share the biggest problem as far as I am concerned.....

WHERE ARE THE NEW RELEASES?? (excepting UMG, of course!)

I suspect the only thing that doesn't meet the specs on dualdisc besides the thickness and maybe weight, is the fact that royalties were not paid.

The Quadfather

JonUrban said:
OK, let's not start another round of format bashing. SACDs and DVD-As both have some problems, so let's not get crazy. As Brian has stated, this is old news on older pressed discs, and it also has been discussed here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449&highlight=crest

Actually, they share the biggest problem as far as I am concerned.....

WHERE ARE THE NEW RELEASES?? (excepting UMG, of course!)

The Quadfather said:
I suspect the only thing that doesn't meet the specs on dualdisc besides the thickness and maybe weight, is the fact that royalties were not paid.

The Quadfather

DDs are playing out pretty much as the record labels predicted. They work on most DVD Video, SACD and CD players - but not all.

In terms of specs, the industry folks who have examined them up close (so to speak) tell me there are several reasons why some players won't "recognize" them as a CD or DVD, hence playability issues.

And the ones made by Sony differ somewhat from the ones made by Cinram. So we may have players that work with the Cinram DDs that may not work with the Sony made DDs. We'll have to watch that in early '05 when the Sonys start to hit the market.

Yeah, My DSoTM SACD was cracking from the centre outward. It still played but I figured I should do something about it. I went to Best Buy and told them I bought it less than a week ago (lie) and they let me exchange it for a new one. I don't think that's too bad...BB wil just send it into their distributor and they'll replace it for them. Everyone wins...
Ryan

I copied this from another sight FWIW on the DSOTM issue:

there are two different pressings of DSOTM available. The first ones released in the US were pressed at Crest National in the USA. At the time, it was a new assembly line and they were experimenting with a new type of plastic. Unfortunately, they didn't do it right and the discs tended to develop small cracks on the inside circle or spindle hub. The next batch of discs were pressed at a Japan facility using a more traditional method for making hybrid discs and those seem to be fine. I have both pressings and basically they look identical and the catalog # is identical except the US pressings (which are the bad ones) are denoted by US on the spine. The Japanese pressings don't denote US on the spine and will say something to the effect of "Paper printed in USA... Disc pressed in Japan" in the fine print on the back cover. (FYI - The SACD pressings of 3 Doors Down had the same problems, but I don't believe a second pressing was ever made.)

Back