Is DVD-Audio still alive at Warners?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mikek5750

Okay! I waited almost two years to buy a player. Now I have gone ahead and bought the Pioneer Elite DV47a "universal" player.

I have gone wild in the past 35 days and purchased 24 SACD's but only 8 DVD-Audio disc. Why? Lack of titles. It is beginning to spook me a little bit with regards to Warners. Are they the key player in promoting DVD-A. Either things are worse at Time/Warner AOL than anyone thinks or this has been lost in the realm of corporate priorities or they are getting ready to make a new push for the holidays.

I know, we keep hearing all of these tempting titles "coming TBA", but I'm serious. Has SACD and specifically SACD Hybrids won the day?

What does everyone else think.

I think it is to early to tell. Warner has "re-launched" the DVD-A format in Europe, so I think that is a good indication that they are still committed to it. I don't know why they didn't re-launch it stateside... perhaps sales are good enough already (optimistic view) or they're scrapping the U.S. market (pessimistic view).

Anyway, it is still a very young format, and as far as I can tell, it's just starting to gather steam. However, with Warner being the big player, one would think they would have more new titles hitting the market. We'll see...

Wait for Aug 27th, maybe a big surprise coming.

Sigh. I guess I've really lost the faith because I've heard this line too many times in my already (relatively) short turn as a DVD-A fan. I myself have heard of several "major" events taking place:

The first I heard of was in March.
Then May.
Then July.
Now August?

The lack of pre-orders for those July 30th titles (yes, I'm still bitter!) turned out to be an accurate forecast when they didn't show up for the big day. And it makes sense, as discs can't just magically appear one day in stores -- retailers have to pre-order them weeks in advance (or at least that's my understanding of how it works).

Right now, pre-orders indicate that the only Warner title set for 08/27 is the R.E.M. disc. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but the "big surprise" will be if Warner Bros. can actually get one title into stores as announced without months of delays.

Back