Looking for a vintage quad gear repair shop near Tacoma, WA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have found a shop in the Pacific Northwest that offers a viable option getting at least a Sansui brand machine restored:

http://www.qrxrestore.com/

Has anyone here dealt with these guys before? They are a father and son repair shop specializing in restoring and upgrading Sansui machines from the 70s. They are in Eugene, Oregon, not too far from my home town of Tacoma, so I might look into these guys.

Hmm..may have to takr the 9001 for a little ride when I go to Vancouver to visit the family... Thanx for the link.
Also, just picked up a 6001 for 30 bucks on cl,..no output, we shall see on that one.
Also: last month on ebay there was a 4400 there. ONE picture of it, looked like the pic was taken in the dark. seller had poor contact, when asked for more pics.
Sellers feedback had 30 sales, and all were vintage cloth material. After about 5 days he started responding to my mail, but still no pics. He was responsive to my packing instructions, and sounded to me to be honest. (that went a long way) I Bid 423.00 and was certain of a mistake... I wound up winning. Snow anice in his region prevented shippment for 3 weeks. I did not care the time frame due to Mother Nature, and told him so. The listing was 4 small lines. "Wood cab in good shape" " one light blown" "small imperfections on face" "scope works" One pic, taken in poor light. The moral of this story, In communicating with the seller, I realized why, (or at least I felt) his listing was so sparce, took a chance because I wanted a 4400 to sit next to/compare with my 9001. The scope works, but needed adjusting. Wood case is near perfect (im a painter anyway) The face, after I cleaned the nicotine off of it is flawless. I polished the cleaning swirl marks off the dial glass. Cleaned the pots. And...It paid off. A near perfect specimen. The scope is green though, and not blue, and there was no decoder in it. All in all sweet.
Oh, im getting a little carried away here. Forgot I was replying to specific quote.. anyway reed, im over here in Bremerton, and will be selling the 6001 I get.

c.hart-

I would definitely be interested in picking up that 6001 if you are going to sell it. I will keep a close eye on eBay and Craigslist.

No sweat. Ill give you a heads up. My ebay user name is c.hartjr360 Though I would suspect that you need not pay shipping :)

lol I love the comparison to your car, if it goes over $2400 it will be more then what I bought for my car- last minute bids are always hard to predict though

congrats on your Marantz 4400- I used to really want one, for the scope but I find the reciever kind of strange looking, especially with the square style buttons (they never seem properly aligned), not to mention the need to find the detached decoders...everyone loves them though

check out this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...cs_R2&rt=nc&si=Iwl4GgaCYHIgw4PGzxFAg8Sp1B0%3D

its for a marantz 4270- minty with the optional remote, and later model decorder- its also within driving distance from my house - very tempting- will buy it if I see it on kijiji since it wasnt sold on ebay

I am still on the look-out for a technics sa 6700x with the built in scope, I am not sure what they look like, but I like the 6400x and 6800x so it should be fine

lol I love the comparison to your car, if it goes over $2400 it will be more then what I bought for my car- last minute bids are always hard to predict though

congrats on your Marantz 4400- I used to really want one, for the scope but I find the reciever kind of strange looking, especially with the square style buttons (they never seem properly aligned), not to mention the need to find the detached decoders...everyone loves them though

check out this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...cs_R2&rt=nc&si=Iwl4GgaCYHIgw4PGzxFAg8Sp1B0%3D

its for a marantz 4270- minty with the optional remote, and later model decorder- its also within driving distance from my house - very tempting- will buy it if I see it on kijiji since it wasnt sold on ebay

I am still on the look-out for a technics sa 6700x with the built in scope, I am not sure what they look like, but I like the 6400x and 6800x so it should be fine

I am pleased with the 4400 thus far, and do agree on the looks of the buttons. As far as the decoder, it does have the varimatrix built in, and that is, well...something. I have an sq-1 decoder that I dream of modding with rca inputs so the 4400 will accept any stand alone decoder, switchable from the front that way. I was looking over some old threads on the topic, but of building ones own board that way. No need to power the board from the marantz, because the stand alone will do that. I dont think I can build the terminal connection of a board, but I think I could mod an existing board.No real loss in the sq-1 anyway. If I can succeed, you may see some kits come out. If I live long enough to learn how to put the idea to practice. There were a couple gents here that got me on this track....how about it guys? Reid?

I have not had Jim do any work for me but from what I have read and my conversations with him I would not hesitate to have him work on my stuff.Eugene Oregon is a long way for me to go but if I have to I would drive there in a heart beet.There is a place that will repair your stereo on 99 just past Green Lake Northwest Audio. John is a good friend of mine and he is one of the great ones.I did fine a Tech off of I5 at 145th street in Shoreline that restored my QRX 9001 thats sounds great ,and now he is going the same to my 9090

Back