New CD Deep Purple "Live In London 74" SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
The new Deep Purple "Live In London 1974" CD is from an old SQ BBC broadcast. It talks about the quadraphonic broadcast of June 6 1974, and shows a picture of the BBC Transcription album label with SQ written twice on the label in the liner notes. I've had a Mexican EMI album of this show that was released in the early 1980's, but it a single disc and only 60 minutes. This new 2 CD set contains the full 90 minute show as originally broadcast and sounds great through the Tate!

I have the original Vinyl, the performance is not one of their best and the mix is also quite conservative (it is live after all). I believe the LP release # was CN2096/SQ. I will try and upload scans of the label after work today.

Malcolm

There's a good chance that alot of it is the original mix but from what I've read, at the very least, "Space Trucking" was remixed into stereo from the 4-track quad master tape. There's a bit of info on this site all of which I haven't read:

http://www.deep-purple.net/index.htm

At one point, they were considering releasing it in 4.1. It doesn't look like that ever materialized.

I would not think the new CD would keep the SQ encoding. Here are the excepts from the LP released by Purple Records in 1982. Even this LP was remixed from the SQ broadcast mix. Probably only the original BBC broadcast has the SQ encoding . This LP says Live from Kilburn State Gaumont in London, May 22, 1974 for in In Concert programme by the BBC.
The local record store has this new CD in stock, I'll need to pick it up and give it a good listen.

Attachments

• deeppurple.jpg
    deeppurple.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 384
I found a Climax Blues Band BBC disc and the Stamp Album rumour maybe came from this sheet that came with the lp.

Attachments

• img269.jpg
    img269.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 356
According to the Quad Discography "Stamp Album" only released in QS quad. No stereo only version is noted. I wonder if that Climax Blues Band BBC disc is available anywhere. I got my Deep Purple one on EBAY.. A hunting I will go...

According to the Quad Discography "Stamp Album" only released in QS quad. No stereo only version is noted. I wonder if that Climax Blues Band BBC disc is available anywhere. I got my Deep Purple one on EBAY.. A hunting I will go...

Bob, I don't believe it says QS on the LP. I think it was just dragged down thru the years and maybe that rumour started mistakenly from this. just a thought. It has never sounded encoded as i remember.

I recently got the 2 disc Deep Purple. I ran it through my Tate and it sounded good, but not unlike a non-SQ encoded live show. I don't think any SQ encoding made it to the CD.

I was impressed with how good a performance the band did on this set. It was recorded during the early 70's when Rock bands like DP tended to be a bit self indulgent. When I saw a 30 minute version of "Space Truckin'" I was dubious, but at nearly every point in the song when they were about to lose me it would evolve into something better. The tour was in support of the "Burn" album and that's one of my DP faves.

If you are a Deep Purple fan it is definitely worth owning.

I got a copy of the original transcription disc on a DVD-A, and the Quad mix is very discrete indeed.
Not got the new version yet, but the old one is great.

I recently got the 2 disc Deep Purple. I ran it through my Tate and it sounded good, but not unlike a non-SQ encoded live show. I don't think any SQ encoding made it to the CD.

I was impressed with how good a performance the band did on this set. It was recorded during the early 70's when Rock bands like DP tended to be a bit self indulgent. When I saw a 30 minute version of "Space Truckin'" I was dubious, but at nearly every point in the song when they were about to lose me it would evolve into something better. The tour was in support of the "Burn" album and that's one of my DP faves.

If you are a Deep Purple fan it is definitely worth owning.

I did get the 2 CD set. It sounded like the same mix as the 1982 LP. The CD does sound better, probably due to the compromised needed to fit 1 hour on the LP. When SOTW starts, the organ's low notes all of a sudden appear from in rear. But overall, I also do not think this is SQ encoded.

Vinylguy4

BTW- Parts of this show are also on the Wolfgang's Vault website (streaming) and it is a different mix than the CD. I don't know if it is a SQ mix though.

Deep Purple Pop Spectacular Live On The BBC 1974
May 22, 1974
Kilburn State Gaumont
London, UK

I listen to dts disc. 4.1 encoding. The cover of CD says that it's SQ recording.
It's definitly quad version.

In Mistreated sound of slide guitar walks around from front left to right and then to rear right and left.
Overall mixing is more atmospheric with a few panoramic effects.

Anybody listened to this version?

Back