New to the board - courtesy of Quad Bob

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

s9001

Started in quad in 1972 with a Harmon Kardon receiver then upgraded to Sansui 9001 in '78. The Sansui was recently restored by QuadBob, who impressed me with his attention to detail.

I do have a question I hope some of you can help me with. I'm upgrading my home theater setup and am looking at Pioneer 49txi, Denon 5803, or reasonable cost separates. I will probably take the preamp outs from my Sansui into the multi-channel inputs on the new rec/preamp-pro. Any other units I should look at that would outperform the Pioneer or Denon and still not break the bank?

Thanks

I have a 5800, and have used it with my Tate, and it works great. I have never tried using a CD-4 demodulator with it, but I would assume that it would be fine.

It's pricey, but you can't go wrong with the DENON.

:-jon

Welcome Steve! It's great to see you posting here!8o

Just don't spend too much time reading the great information here......and fire up that QRX-9001!!!:smokin:
As another Sansui QRX-9001 "original" owner I'd love to hear your thoughts on the restoration and modifications I did to your beautiful receiver.
Enjoy the forum..........

QuadBob:cool:

Hi Steve,

I have friends who have the 5800 and 49TX (not the i)..Both are good..

For performance I give the edge to the Denon..

If it were me, in this situation, I'd buy the Pioneer simply because of the digital interface - you can add their reasonably priced 49i universal player and get better results avoiding the extra D/A conversions..

The other plus to the Pioneer is the MCACC feature - I'm really impressed with it - especially if you have different speaker brands..

I'm a seperates guy and would advise you to look for used seperates - you can get much better performance going this way - (or new preamp with used amp) and spend less than the new receiver..just gives you lots more flexibility down the road..

Thanks Cai,

It's great to have a forum dedicated exclusively to surround sound!!!!

I was a big fan of Quad back in the seventies and it's taken 30 years for it to come back..

These new hires formats in multichannel have really relit a passion I have for MC music..

:)

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I was a big fan of Quad back in the seventies and it's taken 30 years for it to come back..[/quote]

Come back??? I didn't know it ever left, I just kept listening to my system, and thought that the record stores were just out of the titles I was looking for!!! I assumed it was because quad was so popular they just couldn't keep the titles on the shelf!!:rollin:

Then one day I finally got out of my quad room, and here were these new formats.....so I thought "Hey, great...quads doing so well they finally updated it!"

Now if I could only find my local Sansui dealer!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I assumed it was because quad was so popular they just couldn't keep the titles on the shelf!![/quote]

Gawd..that's hilarious..

:lol:

Thanks for the chuckle..

Have a great weekend..

:)

Quad was simply ahead of its time. Now it has finally come of age. If it can survive the format wars and the resultant consumer confusion, we'll be sitting pretty.

I'm a lot more optmistic about quad surviving this time around..

It's only a matter of time till every manufacturer (including Toshiba and lastly Sony) offer universal players which takes the format wars off the table..

With the steady decline in CD sales, the studios will slowly realize what a gold mine they have with these secure new formats..

I have pretty well stopped buying CD's and would rather invest my $$$ in both new formats..

If everything got eventally remastered in hires MC, I could see myself easily buying in excess of 500 titles..

Hope the music studios read forums like this..

You would never know it....but there are many "important people-types" that check in to this board (as "guests").

Face it - we are their market core.

You're certainly right about that Jon!!;)

Just look at our average age on this board, the constant discussion of new releases on the DVD-A and SACD formats..which with their cost to us, have to be a good profit for the industry......even with re-mixing, they already own most of the material. And then read this:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>
Rock, Older Buyers Rule in Depressed Music Market
Thu May 15, 6:08 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Sue Zeidler

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock and roll never dies, but it's getting older.

According to a survey by the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites), rock held steady as the most popular genre in 2002 while those over age 45 emerged as the steadiest music buyers in a depressed market.

The survey, released on Thursday, also found that 2002 was the first year that more CDs were sold at discount department stores and consumer electronics outlets than specialty record stores.

Earlier this year, the RIAA reported that year-end shipments of CDs, DVDs and tapes totaled $12.6 billion in 2002, down 8 percent from $13.7 billion in 2001.

The embattled record industry blames that drop in large part on unauthorized online file-sharing services, which allow fans to copy and swap music for free.

Experts also cite the economy, competition from video games and a decline in runaway hits as factors behind the slump.

The RIAA survey found that consumers aged 10 to 14 years old represented 8.9 percent of the market, compared with 8.5 percent in 2001.

Purchases by fans 45 and up rose to 25.5 percent from 23.7 percent a year earlier, the survey said.

Rock reigned as the music purchased most, representing 24.7 percent of the market, the survey said, followed by rap or hip-hop and urban/R&B recordings.

Purchases at outlets other than specialty music stores grew from 42.4 percent in 2001 to 50.7 percent in 2002, the survey said.

The RIAA represents the world's major record labels, including AOL Time Warner, EMI Group Plc (news - web sites), Bertelsmann AG (news - web sites), Vivendi Universal Universal Music and Sony Corp (news - web sites) .

Peter D. Hart Research Associates conducted the survey of more than 3,000 music consumers in the United States.

[/quote]

So, if they want to keep their jobs, the industry executives BETTER be paying attention to US!!!8o

Back