Newbie with some questi-ons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Key Sun

Hey hows everybody doing?

Looked through the posts and found some answers to my questions. But here goes...

I'm a Floridian crate digger and a fan of all music. Anyway I bought this Sansui reciever off of E-Bay on a whim and I wanted to know if its any good. It's a Sansui QR-1500. It's in VG+ condition and I paid a total 0f $50 for it (including shipping) on ebay. I just got it in the mail today and damn that thing is heavy.

Anyway what can I do with it? Did I get a good deal? I've been reading up a little on SQ/QS and CD4. Can I do all of these on this reciever? I know I'll need a new stylus for CD4 since I'm using a shure scratch needle on a Technic 1210. I ordered a good copy of Dark Side in SQ is this one of the better systems to play it on or is it just a simulator? It has a button on the front that says sytheisyzer/decoder.
thanks in advance
Key

Hello Key Sun, and welcome to our group. The QR-1500 is not a bad unit as a small receiver goes. Unfortunately it is not a great quadraphonic receiver. It is a four channel unit with a basic QS decoder, but it has no SQ or CD-4 capability. I think that it does have a second matrix position to approximate SQ, but even to most basic SQ decoders would be better. It should do an OK job with stereo sources if it has a similar decoder to the stand-alone QS-1 unit. I believe that it is pretty low power, under 10 wpc ... but it should be pretty well-built. The price you paid might have been a little high in my opinion; my QRX-6500 ended up costing me about US$75.00 with shipping, but if it is in nice shape it is probably a decent deal. It is a nice looking unit too. Cheers, Mike.

Man :( so that means no Dark Side of The Moon in SQ :(

So QS decoders wont work on SQ Discs? Guess I have to do some more reading. ANyway it's a good reciever for a shot in the dark. It has a 4 channel (rca) aux input that I'm sure I can find some use for (I like to mash records). Anyway I'll try to hook up some speakers and try out this test disc I picked up from a consignment shop.Thanks again
peace
Key

Oh another ?uestion.
For future reference if I can get my hands on a QRX - xxxxx will this do the job on SQ and CD-4?
Thanks
Key

If you get one of the x001 models it will have CD-4 and an SQ position I believe. The x500 models don't have CD-4, but they do have a 'Phase Matrix' position that is supposed to be a basic SQ decoder, although I have never tried it for that purpose. Either will have a QS decoder. Both are Variomatrix, but the x001 is supposed to be the better of the two. Mike.

Look for a Sansui QRX-8001,9001, or 999. Can't miss with one of these!

:-jon

www.geocities.com/quadaudio/

Try the above for some basic information.

I had a QR-1500, sold it for $100 so you didn't pay too much. I enjoyed the 1/4- and 1/2-turn function, it was nifty keen how it moved the sound field around.

The QRX-7001 is a good unit. More power than the QR-1500. The "X" in the QRX indicates the receiver has Sansui's Vario-Matrix circuitry that was designed to create synthesized quad from a stereo source but will also decode encoded material.

Back