Other quad LPs on an SQ decoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a reason that most SQ decoders are poorly regarded: they barely work at all. As I said earlier, a full-logic SQ decoder such as Sony SQD-2020 or a Tate will sound amazing. Other than a built-in Full Logic on a Lafayette receiver, or a Marantz SQA-2 plug in module, which only fits Marantz receivers, all built-in SQ decoders I've heard are poor. With a non-logic decoder, as in QX-4000, SQ stands for "sorta-Quadraphonic."

Well, right now I'm pretty happy with just having a 4-channel stereo system. I plan to buy a fair share of SACD and DVD-A (I had no idea my player could play them, I thought I needed something special) discs, and the one I do have (Dark Side of the Moon) sounds amazing.

In the meantime I'll consider a CD-4 setup. That really seems like the way to go for discreet sound from vinyl. Plus there are a lot of albums on CD4 that I really like. (Aqualung is top of the list). I think I'll live with my Sorta-Quadraphonic setup. While this isn't the original receiver, it's a placeholder for my father's receiver, which I inherited and which needs recapping and repair.

Here's a shot of my setup:
attachment.php

Charles.

Vinyl quad is really only necessary if you just happen to enjoy the whole vinyl experience. There is nothing available on vinyl that you can't find in either a discrete analog format or a digital multi-channel or discrete digital form. There is nothing I have on vinyl that I don't also have on either quad reel, quad 8 track, digital conversion of a quad recording, (dts CD or DVD-Audio) or a modern day multi-channel disc (SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu ray audio, Dualdisc, etc).

I have a huge vinyl collection, and I do love it very much, so i'll probably end up with a CD4 system eventually.

I have no interest in quad reels, they're ludicrously expensive and my RT-707 cannot play them (and there's NO way in hell I'm replacing the 707. That thing ROCKS)

I've already started purchsing a few DVDAs and SACDs, but not everything I like is available -- or it's available only at retarded prices. (I'm not paying $150 for a DVDA of Aqualung or $100+ for King Crimson)

Before anyone suggests it, I don't torrent -- I simply don't have the desire or the time, and I'd rather just buy something in a nice jewel case and call it done.

Charles.

Well, right now I'm pretty happy with just having a 4-channel stereo system. I plan to buy a fair share of SACD and DVD-A (I had no idea my player could play them, I thought I needed something special) discs, and the one I do have (Dark Side of the Moon) sounds amazing.

In the meantime I'll consider a CD-4 setup. That really seems like the way to go for discreet sound from vinyl. Plus there are a lot of albums on CD4 that I really like. (Aqualung is top of the list). I think I'll live with my Sorta-Quadraphonic setup. While this isn't the original receiver, it's a placeholder for my father's receiver, which I inherited and which needs recapping and repair.

Here's a shot of my setup:
attachment.php

Charles.

Charles:

Is that an "American Flyer" electric train transformer I see on the top shelf?

Justin

Last edited:
That it is. I'm running a ceiling train, with all of my father's old American Flyer locomotives and rolling stock (Plus some that I've purchased myself)

Check this out.

[video=youtube;6urZwdHtRjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urZwdHtRjw[/video]

The bridge over the stereo still needs to be completed, and I want to add some scenery eventually. All the shelving was custom built by me. I designed it for maximum space in a small room -- the bookshelves are 7.5" deep (one 2x8), which is enough for a hardback book. Store-bought bookshelves are 15" deep, and that really took up a lot of room. Plus this way they're floor-to-ceiling, and I designed them with the train and stereo in mind. You'll note that the stereo cabinet is completely wall-mounted, and designed with the RT-707's size in mind. I can also do jumping jacks and not disturb the turntable, which is a mean feat because I'm a big fattie!

Charles.

Oh very cool. It as a Regular and an SQ mode, so that's awesome. However, I think Aqualung was only released as a CD4 LP, correct? Which means unless I get a demodulator and the proper turntable and stylus, I'm SOL... No SACD release and I can't play DVD-A (and don't want to spend $130 on the Aqualung special edition), so.... crap.

Charles.

I think it's really worth getting a DVD-A/SACD player just to play Aqualung! And the special edition is worth it as well! Heck, I upgraded my Oppo just to make sure DVDs like the DTS TAAB sounded the best possible. And I have a Shibata stylus, but I've never considered CD4. I leave the surround to Hi-Res digital and enjoy vinyl in stereo.

Back